IAC?

cutsup1996

I know quite a bit of cars so call me a dumbass when I ask this, ( I think I know but am not 100%), what does IAC stand for, where is it, what does it do? Is it in the intake tube right before the TB? I wanna clean mine and need to know I'm cleaning the right one. Thanks guys.

Viva la Cutty!

IAC stands for "Idle Air Control"

Essentially, it controls the engine idle speed.

It is the part on the top left side of the TB with the 3 wire (I think). All you have to do is take the 2 bolts out and brush any buildup off the pintle and out of the hole it sits in and that should help with any idle problems.

The tube running from the intake hose to the valve cover is for PCV operation. That is where it draws the fresh air in when the PCV sucks it out.

What does IAC stand for, where is it, what does it do?

...continuing with Whiskey River's explaination:

Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve -

Engine idle speeds are controlled by the Electronic Control Module (ECM) through the IAC valve mounted on the throttle body. The ECM sends voltage pulses to IAC motor windings causing the IAC motor shaft and pintle to move in or out a given distance (number of steps) for each pulse, also knows as a count. The movement of the pintle controls the airflow around the throttle plate, which in turn, controls engine idle speed. Minimum idle air speed is set at the factory with a screw stop; this setting allows enough airflow by the throttle valves to cause the IAC valve pintle to be positioned a calibrated number of steps (counts) from the seat during normal idle operation. Tampering with the minimum idle speed screw is highly discouraged since it may result in premature failure of the IAC valve.

- Erik

oh yeah duh I knew that about the PCV, I wrote the wrong thing for that. what is the other wire and sensor also going into the intake tube, about midway, and no not the MAF. so do I need to take the IAC out/off to clean it or can it be cleaned left on?

On my 3.1L Engine, the book states the PVC location on the wrong orientation and one assumes it is in front valve cover facing the radiator but actually the PVC is located on the rear valve cover near the firewall.

ok forget about the pcv, back to topic, do I need to take the IAC out/off to clean it, can it be cleaned on the TB, which is easiest/best. And what is the sensor midway from TB to Filter in the air tube?, and no I don't mean the MAF.

ok forget about the pcv, back to topic, do I need to take the IAC out/off to clean it, can it be cleaned on the TB, which is easiest/best. And what is the sensor midway from TB to Filter in the air tube?, and no I don't mean the MAF.

Yes, the IAC will need to be removed to be cleaned. As for a sensor in between the TB and Filter box, there isn't one. Only the MAF is in between and the IAT is located in the filter box itself.

again, on the 3100 PCV is located on the FRONT valve cover. 3.1s are on the REAR

Yes, Rob you are correct. I'm a butthead...

I forgot to realize that it was 3100 that was discussed on this thread, not the 3.1L.

My fault, I appoligize! :cry: Sorry!

- Erik