Trans Questons

1badtgp

Ok, here's the deal. I blew the trans on the TGP a while ago, and I just put another one in. But I want to take one of the transmissoins from one of my parts cars and have a serious performance rebuild done. The trans shop is willing to help me do some research and testing, because I work very closely with the owner in my performance shop endevors.

Here's my question...

I have 2 transmissions laying around, 1 out of an 88 GP SE and one ins a 90 Cavalier Z-24 with the 3.1(hasn't been diassamebled yet, but will be shortly..). I want to use one of those, preferably the one from the Cav. But when I looked at them, I noticed the plug on the front is completely different from the TGP. It has a square 4-prong plug, whereas if I remember correctly, the TGP has a round 5 point. Can I either a) change the stuff in the trans to accomidate the TGP plug, or B) modify the wiring on the TGP to accept the 4 point...? What do you guys think?

First of all, TGP 4T60s are different than other 4T60s. They have a different valve-body, and some added hard parts. I know this as the previous owner of my 1st TGP put in a regular 4T60 right before selling it to me(it still has the junkyard paint pen on it). Anyways, long story short it blew up in aobut 4,500 miles, and I mean blew-up!!! :shock:

http://fp.enter.net/~nicolette/images/turboGP/tranny1.jpg

http://fp.enter.net/~nicolette/images/turboGP/tranny2.jpg

I was doing a burnout at the time and it looks like the spidergear wanted out of the picture. :roll: Now, is it my fault or the tranny's??? I couldn't tell you, but the tranny never acted right from the moment I bought the car. It had very hard downshift when cold, and it had a hard time shifting in 3rd at WOT(as in it wouldn't until I would let off the gas). The car was only $990 so I wasn't that upset. I did get a real TGP 4T60 from a junkyard in Mass., but I haven't put it in yet. :roll:

Anyways, I changed the tranny in my '90 Olds Ciera(3300/4T60)and the tranny I got had the round 5-pin and my car originally had a square 4-pin. I just spliced my harness to the new 5 pin and didn't use one of the wires. I've never gotton a code from it and I can still get over 30 mpg on the highway so I can only assume the TCC locks. I hope that helps 8) :)

I don't remember exactly what the difference is. However, I had this problem on a car once, it was an older trans going into a newer car that had the plug problem. i took the side pan off and rewired the inside of the transmission since I didn't have a donor plug. Worked fine, i think its just a feed back to the computer thats not used on older apps. It also had a mechanical speedo and I had to change that too. I could look it up in the manual and try to figure it out but I don' t really feel like it.

There was a guy sittin next to me when we looked at those pretty pictures of your transmission and he about shit his pants. How in the hell did the actual housing blow up like that??? There must have been shit all over the road!

THats so cool!....but it sucks at the same time. I wonder if my 3t40 will do the same.

LOL...well...at least it doen't have a differential pin problem like the Taurus SHO 5spd......LOL....pins everywhere...case parts all over the road....LOL.. I mis my old SHO....NOT...LOL..

After it exploded I actually stopped and jumped out and looked under the car, and I saw tranny fluid pouring out. I quick jumped back in the car and threw her in gear and off I went(I was only a 1/2 mile from home). It wouldn't shift out of first and I didn't think I would make it, but I did. Once I got her home and in the garage I had to check out the damage. Apparently, one of the spidergears must have welded itself onto the shaft that they ride on in the differential. The spidergear must have broken in half and then got jambed between the differential and the case, and since the case is only cast aluminum if gave rather than the differential. I went back later to pic up the pieces, and I found a part of the case about the size of my hand and a 1/2 a spider gear that was burred on the interior race. Anyways, long story short...DON'T DO BURNOUTS!!! :shock: :P

After it exploded I actually stopped and jumped out and looked under the car, and I saw tranny fluid pouring out. I quick jumped back in the car and threw her in gear and off I went(I was only a 1/2 mile from home). It wouldn't shift out of first and I didn't think I would make it, but I did. Once I got her home and in the garage I had to check out the damage. Apparently, one of the spidergears must have welded itself onto the shaft that they ride on in the differential. The spidergear must have broken in half and then got jambed between the differential and the case, and since the case is only cast aluminum if gave rather than the differential. I went back later to pic up the pieces, and I found a part of the case about the size of my hand and a 1/2 a spider gear that was burred on the interior race. Anyways, long story short...DON'T DO BURNOUTS!!! :shock: :P

Yea that would be a big ouch!! And is one of the special parts the TGP tranny has, hardened gears and gear carrier set, to keep things from walking sideways like yours and eating its way out of the case. BUT STILL, burn outs are hard on the gear/gear carrier, of any FWD car. I have harped on this in the past to not do burn outs, even worse is having only one tire spin going around a corner, and only harped to help others from doing harm as so many harp about their piece of shit TGP breaking all the time :shock: :) 3.33:1 is the better ratio to have until a larger turbo is installed.

Better luck dude!!

Jeff M