Anyone ever rebuild a 4t60 Transmission?

88GrandPrixLE

My dad is getting ready to rebuild the transmission in his Bonneville. He was told that it sounds like the pump went out on it. He bought the book and is studying up for right now, but we have never done much with a transmission before. Any suggestions or tips would be very helpful. Thanks.

hrm i would suggest

tear in to it and look how it came apart and put it back the way it came out things will fit both ways and only goes one way to operate

thats the biggest concern

good luck and let us know how it works out

I've talked to people about rebuilding automatic transmissions, and what I've gotten out of it was that it requires a lot of specialized tools, and you have to be very precise when putting everything in. Other than that, I would think anyone that knew their way around a shop could do it....just allow yourself *a lot* of time for the first one. Don't rush!!

Be sure to keep track of where all the ball bearings go in the check valves.. especially when you crack the case and they all fall out LOL!

As long as you have a valid diagram of some sort, I think you can do it.

My dad is getting ready to rebuild the transmission in his Bonneville. He was told that it sounds like the pump went out on it. He bought the book and is studying up for right now, but we have never done much with a transmission before. Any suggestions or tips would be very helpful. Thanks.

Does he have a lift? it has to come out the bottom with the subframe removed and hte engine suspended.

Does he have a lift? it has to come out the bottom with the subframe removed and hte engine suspended.

you can do it with out a lift and only one side has to be loose they can swing it to the passengerside

the only special tools you need are snap ring pliers and a clothes hanger to slip the internals back in to the trans case

other than that i don't think you need much more (you may need more its been a while for me to see one apart)

Actually we do have a lift. He got it last year when some lady was nice enough to park her car in the side of his restored 1972 AMC Gremlin.

The nice thing about his subframe I think is that we don't have to remove the entire subframe like we did on my Grand Prix. I think just part of it comes out wich means he hopefully won't loose his alignment.