I come to you guys for advice...(LONG)

gmrulz4u

This whole thing kind of makes me upset, which is why I don't like talking about, but I just don't know what I should do now, so I'm asking you guys for opinions.

In February of 2003 I had my 89 Cutlass Supreme completely re-painted by a reputable company in my city called "Paint Master". I did a lot of research and found they had awsome prices, extremely high ratings, a lot of company clients, etc. I went about 3 weeks before taking my car in to meet the owner. He and his wife were two of the nicest people I had ever met in my life, and they still are. While I was there that day I looked through a big binder they had filled with pics of cars they had painted. All the cars looked SWEET! There was even a 94 Cutlass convertible(red), and a few Grand Prixs.

Anyways, a few weeks later I took my Cutty in to get painted and took one of their loaner vehicles. It took them 1 week to paint my car.

When I went and picked the car up, I was totally breath-taken by how amazing it looked! It looked better than New(although I never actually saw it new:)

So, I drove away an extremely happy man!

About 2 months later I started to notice rust forming on both sides of the front fenders. I thought, no big deal, I'll just take it in under Warranty and have them fix it, especially seeing as they call themselves "The Rust Experts"! They had absolutely no problem doing it, and again gave me a loaner car for 2 days so they could fix it up.

I pick it up, looks good. A few months later, when my car is on a hoist, I see rust in the EXACT same spots AGAIN! Not wanting to get all angry with these nice people, I told them, they agreed, and once again I take one of their loaner cars for 2 days so they could AGAIN fix the same problem.

After picking it up AGAIN, I figured I would never see rust there again. But, I was wrong. Just this past September I had to have it in AGAIN for rust in the SAME place, plus this time there was a little rust starting on one of the rear fenders as well!!!

Well, again, the owner and his wife understood, although I could tell Rob(the owner) was starting to get a little annoyed, seeing as this was my THIRD time back for the same problem!

So, you'd think after THREE times to get rid of the same rust prone areas, I wouldn't see rust for at least a couple years, well, you'd be wrong!!

Just yesterday, while having my starter replaced, the car was on the hoist, and I could not believe my eyes when I noticed the rust starting AGAIN!!

Now, before I go any further, I think it's important to understand WHERE exactly the rust is that I'm referring to. My Cutlass is an International, and therefore has the International ground-effects. On the front fenders, just in front of the wheel wells, theirs a rust line that's most visible from underneath the car that is right where the ground effects meet the body. Here's a pic:(the red is where the rust is)

brewer2.jpg

The first TWO times I could swear that I don't think they actually removed the ground effects to fix the rust. With out removing the ground effects, and literally getting down on the ground and sand-blasting from underneath, it would be impossible to actually repair.

The last time it was in, I dealt with a different guy who really seemed to care a lot about me and my car. I called him a few times while it was in and he told me that they had the whole front facia off and I THINK he even said that they were welding in new metal!!

I REALLY, really, really do not want to call Rob or his wife for a FOURTH time to try and get this rust fixed.

At this point I just don't know what to do though? I'm thinking of just waiting a couple years and getting it re-painted by an actual collision/paint center(Paint Master does just paint). Although it will cost A LOT more, I don't really care.

I was also thinking of maybe just getting Rob to give me the paint, and I'll get some one else to do the labor and painting. Maybe someone else will know how to keep rust away for good!?

What makes it worse and that they called themselves THE RUST PREVENTION EXPERTS!!!?? The last thing I even would of thought was my body would have rust problems after they painted it.

What do guys think I should do? I mean, at this point, you'd have to kneel down and really get up close to actually see the rust, but I doubt it's gonna stay that way.

I get my car undercoated and rust proofed every year, and just HATE rust with a passion.

I don't know for sure, but I don't even remember rust being in these areas before taking it in to get painted, although I COULD be wrong?

What do you guys think I should do here? I know most people would probably say call them, yell, swear, threaten, etc. but I'm just not one of those people. But it hasn't even been 1 year and my car has been in once to get painted, and THREE times to get "fixed". I just don't know what to do anymore...

For 88-91 Cutty owners, are these areas, where the ground effects meet the body, areas that are prone to rust or something?? Or is this something that's not normal?

THANKS FOR LISTENING!:)

I had this problem with a local shop, I brought my hood in to fix a lot of rock chips and a small dent. I told them to sand the hood completely down to bare metal and remove the small dent, then paint the hood to match the car. I get my hood back on and i am standing in their garage, going over my shiny new paint, and i find fish eyes all over the hood, obviously they didnt sand it down as directed. I said something nicely and they offered to fix it under warranty. told them alright, i'll be back in a couple days to pick it up. I went back 3 days later and picked up the car and everything was good. paid them and went on my way. 1 Week later the paint was starting to bubble off my hood. I took it back and again they offered to fix it for free. went back 3 days later once again and this time i had gouges in my windshield from when they sanded the paint off my hood. I was lit now and sick of coming back so i asked they pay for my winshield, and direct me toward a rep. body shop. They told me to come back in 90 days and they would buff the car of any blemishes, i havent been back. I would tell them to install a new fender on your car, aren't you getting sick of going back for the same thing every time? I think you need to step it up a notch or you'll continue to have the same problem.

DOHC

Well, I would say tell them your sick and tired but do it in a way not raising your voice and be professional about it. But does anyone have any suggestions into what to look for in a body shop?

Rust never sleeps ! I dont know what your car looked like before they painted it but it sounds like you have a area there that is bad and will not quit. I have sandblasted pitted areas and primed with epoxy then painted over and it has lasted well, other areas have come right back. they are where its contaminated underneath as well. In other words rusted on both side of the sheet.

I dont know what you paid but Im thinking you did not pay for a restore. You need a new front fender. Most shops sand or grind rust scale off and paint over it. Its stll down in the pits where the grinder cant get to it, it will always come right back. Sandblasting with fine grit will clean out the pits but RUST NEVER SLEEPS ! and auto body and paint people hate sandblasting. It gets complicated believe me. Complete removal of contaminated steel is the only way. In your case the fender is cheap enough to not be worth cutting and welding and filling your already problemed fender.

Just sounds like they're not prepping it properly, like Steve said. Maybe you could ask about POR-15 or if you have a u-pull-it yard and can get a rust-free fender for $30, get that. As for Intl rust, I dont have any, yet my '90 base model did have it on the lower drivers door and started on the rear 1/4 in front of the wheel.

Fenders r super cheap. That's the only way to get rid of the rust. I did some body work in the summer when I thought I was gonna sell my car. I cut out all the rusty metal in that same area you're talking about and used aluminum tape and bondo (hehehe) to fill in the hole. Somehow it still managed to start rusting again even though I thought I cut out all the rusted metal?!? Now that I'm keeping the car I'm definitely replacing the fenders. Your local paint/body repair suplier should actualy sell new fenders for your car.