Can a altenator test fine and still be bad ??????

GRANDFURY

Pretty much what the title says . I just put in a new battery and ground and did a idle relaern and the volt meter and oil pressure both drop from near full to under half, quite a bit under half after the cars heats up. I had my whole charging system tested anf they said the battery was good but not holding a proper charge, (so I bought the new one), and the alt was charing fine and everything no vaccuum or air leaks. But it possible that the alt may still be bad or going? Thanx 8)

Yeah, heres what mine did this summer. Tested at Advance, 14V. That is completely normal. Then tested on the car, while running, wasnt putting any current out, like <10A. So, it was bad, it just took me checking it right to tell it was bad. It would drain the battery over a span of about a week or two, so it was pretty difficult to diagnose.

Do they put load on it when u got it done at Advanced, I took my friends starter to Crapzone and they said it was fine then took it to a 'ma and 'pa place and they were like "its shit."

I HATE AUTOZONE!!!!

about 6 employees, 3 customers AND I STILL WAIT IN LINE FOR ABOUT 30 minutes! WTF??!?!?!?!?!?!

How can i report a business to the better business bureau? They have crappy ass customer service!

Back to the thread...yeah my alternator tested fine everywere even ma and pa shops...the voltage regulator within the alternator was bad though so i had that replaced. Soon after that went bad too so im saying to buy a new alternator

Do they put load on it when u got it done at Advanced, I took my friends starter to Crapzone and they said it was fine then took it to a 'ma and 'pa place and they were like "its shit."

Yeah, they put a load on it when it was off the car, and all that load tester tested for was Volts, not Amps. Keeping it on the car with it running, gives a better test of Amps.

Alright thanx again guys. Now all I have too do is save up if it is any thing like my topaz ( $289.99 + tax). But that should get done for sure I just hope it solves this problem along with the fuel pump, witch should get done in the next month or so I hope. I found a cheap machanic at work, he only charges 25-30 $ an hour supposedly so we will see. Thanx again guys 8)

The voltage regulator will supply the proper volts, but a bad diode trio or a bad rotor will cause itto supply no amps - I got a car doing that right now, 13.1v (barely ok) but almost no current