Gauge cluster upgrade question

92turboLE

Ok, so i know this has been mentioned before, but i couldnt find it in a search. I have the base cluster in my 92 GP. Base = speed, fuel, temp and idiot lights. I got another cluster out of a 9? SE GP with the tach. Is there any difference in wiring or is it just plug and play.

any help would be great

- Justin

You'll have to run a wire for the tach and for the oil pressure and get a oil sender that supports the pressure gauge ($20 I think at Advance). Other than that, Im pretty sure they are the same. I used to have the pinout diagram somewhere, but I really have no idea where they are now

ithink i will just plug it in and see what happens. I dont think GM would spend money to redesign and redo the wiring...

- Justin

ya, thats what i thought at first, till i got my euro cluster in, and out of 20 wires, i have to change 19 around (on the connector). this is going to be fun :roll:

John

On the plus side, I just installed my speedhut gauges, so now i just have to put the cluster in and im all set :D

mmmm, ricer gauges

IT WORKED!!!! Tach, volts, gas, speed, temp all the lights! It all works except the oil pressure - which reads max cuz of the switch not the sending unit, so i will pull that from the car tomarrow when i return to the junkyard.

- Justin

Im LOVIN the new cluster - makes me wanna make babies, LOL - but i am heading back to the j/y to get a sending unit. I have to go back anyway so i figure a $.49 item is worth a shot before i blow $20 on a new one.

I also need to get a Coolant level sensor too, unless someone knows how to clean it. Although i may just grab another any cuz its easier and im too impatient to clean mine :twisted:

- Justin

IT WORKED!!!! Tach, volts, gas, speed, temp all the lights! It all works except the oil pressure - which reads max cuz of the switch not the sending unit, so i will pull that from the car tomarrow when i return to the junkyard.

- Justin

Good to know that it works

if the gp one works why doesn't the lumi? Has anyone actually tried it? or is it just word of mouth that it doesn't?

The lumina pinouts are very different b/n the two clusters. I have no idea why, but I remember Whiskey River posted them a long time ago, and, IIRC there were like 5 wires that needed to be changed from base to upgraded cluster.

EDIT: I just found what I think is the Lumina pinouts. Take a look:

For the Base Cluster

C3 - Pink/Black - Ignition Power

C4 - Yellow/Black - Low Coolant Light

C5 - Tan/White - Brake Light (parking brake or low brake fluid)

C6 - Brown -Charge Indicator

C7 - Dark Green - Coolant Temp Indicator

C9 - Black - Ground

C10 - Brn/Wht - SES Light

C11 - Tan/Blk - Shift Light

C12 - Lt Grn/Blk - Antilock light (if so equipped)

C13 - PPL - Fuel Level indicator

C16 - Lt Blue - Left Turn signal

D1 - tan - Oil Pressure Indicator

D2 - Yellow - Fasten Seat Belts Indicator

D8 - Gray - Dimmer switch

D12 - Black - Ground

D13 - Dk Grn - Speedometer

D15 - Dk Blue - Right turn signal

D16 - Lt Grn - High Beams

Ok, here is the pinout for the gages cluster.

C2 - Black - Ground

C3 - Gray - Dimmer

C5 - PPL - Fuel Level

C7 - Dk Grn - Coolant Temp

C9 - Lt Blue - Left Turn Signal

C11 - Yellow - Fasten Seat Belts Ind

C13 - Tan - Oil Pressure Indicator

C15 - Brn - Charge Indicator

C16 - Yel/Blk - Low Coolant

D1 - Dk Blue - RH Turn Signal

D2 - Lt Grn - High Beams

D3 - Tan/Blk - Shift Indicator

D4 - Pnk/Blk - Ignition Power

D5 - Dk Grn - Speedometer

D6 - Black - Ground

D9 - White - Tach Wire

D11 - Pink/Blk - Ignition Power

D13 - Tan/Wht - Brake indicator

D15 - Lt Grn/Blk - Antilock indicator

D16 - Brn/Wht - SES Light.

thanks a mil robbie, i've looked at the back of my cluster but i've never pulled tyhe wires apart, or even out of the cluster in the clip still, how will i go about taking them out of the clip and moving them? Thanks jay

oh i'll have to buy a cooalnt temp and a oil pressure sending unit also right? later Jay

Im not real sure how to take wires out and put them in. It cant be too hard though, just push 'em in I guess. I guess you'll need a coolant temp sensor, if your clusted doesnt have a temp gauge now

thanks a mil robbie, i've looked at the back of my cluster but i've never pulled tyhe wires apart, or even out of the cluster in the clip still, how will i go about taking them out of the clip and moving them? Thanks jay

oh i'll have to buy a cooalnt temp and a oil pressure sending unit also right? later Jay

From what whiskey river told me, a paper clip will be your best friend in that department. Im still waiting so someone can help me put my euro cluster in, heh

John

From what whiskey river told me, a paper clip will be your best friend in that department. Im still waiting so someone can help me put my euro cluster in, heh

John

That's what worked for me. It took a few minutes to get the hang of how to use it but it worked for me. Just remember, for those doing a Lumina cluster swap, you have 2 Dark Green wires.

What year GP did you use? I have a 95 with the tach, speedo, fuel, and coolant temp but no oil pressure. Are there any gauges that I can switch to that will get rid of some of my bitch lights and give me real gauges? Thanks for any help guys. I am really not sure about setting up gauge pods on my pillar so if this is easier I am definately in.

i have a 92, but i pulled the gauges form a 91 SE. As for the 95s, i dont know cuz the dash was changed in... 94???

so im not sure on that. you could always do an interior swap and get a set of gauges for sure. :wink:

- Justin

LOL nah if anything I would go to something newer if I could but I may also just got a little rice and put some pods on my pillar. I want a voltage oil press., and a/f guage so that seems to be the best way top go. But then again I have also seen someone change the cubbies in the dash where the DIC would go to pods with fiber glass :o) fiber glass kicks ass!!

That's cool that the gauges work. Seems like a lot of the wiring is there even if a particular option wasn't. I put a SHO cluster in my brother's 95 taurus and it was plug and play, same thing the tach works.