Quick head question

Big Blue

Hi everyone

I have a real and easy quick question i need to ask.I just booked my cylinder head in, to get it decked and polished.But i don't know if i have to take out the valves and springs before i give it to them.I forgot to ask about it and i don't want to call back and sound like stupid person.So do i have to and if so. Would the tool be called a valve spring compreser.I know the tool is called a valve spring compresser that you use to take the valves out off lawn mowers,but i wonder'ed if it's called the same thing on a cars valves.

any help would be great

Kyle

Hello Mr. Blue

i don't think you have to take the valves and valve springs off yourself...

a good shop will do that i the process of what your having done to the heads.

are you having the valves done also?

what about new seals and guides?

depending on your engine and millage it might be worth it to have everything done while the heads are off.

what kinda car do you have? and engine?

it is called a valve spring compressor also

cheers

Dave

Hi Davis

You really know what your talking about,i didn't even think about haveing new valves,new seales,and guides done.

I canceled the head job,because i thought to my self they are ripping me off and they didn't even meantion about the valves,new seales are guides.

The car is a 1994 Pontiact transport se with a second generation 3.8 v6

it has 128,289 km on it.So do you think i should get all that stuff you said done are do you think i'l be okey.

Kyle

Thanks again for all that info :D

I have a pretty good relationship with the guy who owns a machine shop a few minutes away. He ported my heads as far as he could without having the gaskets. He charged me 450.00 bucks and he took everything apart and either cleaned my valves up or put new ones in. He put an angel job down on um. And even chatted my ear off about how he could make me a set of headers and a ice box. The heads i had ported were 3400. He gave my brother a quick port job in like 2 days for his 3800.

He only charged him 250.00 w/ bronze guides. Its an expensive mod but you need it if your gonna get serious.

I just had the heads off of my winter driver toyota 4 runner cause of a bad gasket. shop here in town replaced the seals, cleaned up nice and planed one of them and it was under $170, but I gave them the seals from the head gasket set I bought. I asked them about p&p and it was, i think anyways, $100 per head. so $270 sounds good for my TGP, prolly less, cause of cost of gaskets..

well it was just a thought having the heads rebuilt before performance work done :?

Well Davis i don't know if it does burn oil???,we bought it already with the blown head gasket,so i really don't know.When we started it a cuple times to see which head it was i didn't see any BLACK ARE BLUE SMOKE PUFFING OUT :wink:

What is the name off that shop you know it subury.So when i do buy my COPPER HEAD GASKET i should get new seals in the box.

Please let me know

Kyle p.s i think i messed up the post i have half off your answer at the top and half at the bottom :lol:

if you are not burning oil at your current 128,xxx km you maybe safe with just geting the performance work done. I really can't say if you should do everything at once or not.

I personally would do everything if it were mine :) but that just my opinion

Be care full who much you pay and how much you don't pay on Automotive machine work like head work, get some quotes and go with the middle price rather than the lowest or highest.

I have connections at a place too and i trust the guy and his work.

cheers

Dave