Rear Bearing Assembly?

OldsmoBeast

Hey guys....among the things that I need to eventually have fixed is my right rear wheel bearings....a new delco unit is about $450 CDN...what will happen if i leave this for a while because i'm short on cash? its making noise at certain speeds for now but what else could happen? also, am i better off getting a replacement for one of my foglights from the dealer for $130 or trying a junkyard?

• 1 month later...

i would want to get a bearing fixed as soon as possible

i would look for an aftermarket brand instead of paying $450

if you pay $130 for a fog light at the dealer, you are getting ass raped

i replaced my broken factory fogs for $30 with a fog light set from the auto parts store. sure, the bulbs don't last long, and i had to re-seal the housings, but i didn't waste my money on factory lights that have poor lenses that break

i wouldn't go through the work of changing out bearings to put in a replacement from a junkyard

i would assume that autozone or napa or pep boys would have a NEW aftermarket replacement

even if you're short on cash, wouldn't safety be first? skip mcdonalds (yes, i know, very hard, all my money goes to food, cds, and auto parts) for a while or something

I'm not too worried about the bearings right now.....i can't afford to even worry right now....as for the foglight, it was bugging me so i got one at a junkyard real cheap and swapped it in last week....the old one was full of brown water and random other crap....grass, etc...

I don't want to jack this thread, but my passenger side foglight is out. I checked out the connection inside the wire where the metal prongs are. Well...there is a lot of corrosion in there so I bought some electrical cleaner. I sprayed it in there and let it soak for a few minutes then I proceeded to wipe off any excessive fluid. I also purchased some anti-corrosion gel...squeezed a little in there and connected the foglight. This worked for about a week, but has since failed.

My question is if I should go to a junkyard and replace the wire/ foglight connection? Are they expensive to purchase at an Autoparts place or dealer? Last, are these connectors interchangeable or does it have to be one from a Cutlass.(I have a 1995 Cutlass).

I have replaced both rear wheel bearings on my 95 gp, aprox 170 each canadian tax in for aftermarket bearings. Depending on the level of corrosion, those 4 bolts may be a pain, I had to use oxy/acet. heat for all of them.

as for the passenger foglight, I wouldn't really know much about that...but theres no autozone in canada....and where did you get the aftermarket bearings for that price? would it be better to go with Delco ones?

thx guys

yk

90 USC is the same as 190 canadian by the time you add exchange and duty. The brand name escapes me right now, but the bearings I bought had a 1-year warranty as same as the delco. I went on price alone. I work at a dealership and the cheapest I could get a GM/Delco was close to 360$

I stopped by a NAPA store today on my way to my girlfriend's house and they said they have CR ? bearings for $250 each....the one dude owns a 95 cutlass supreme and he said he did the bearings on it once and the CRs are just fine. On another note, did you guys catch wind of that steering gear recall on like 860,000 cars?! crazy eh...

Which steering recall are you refering to?? The one where you get the lower pinion bearing inspected/replaced? If so we have been doing them for about 6 months now. Not many W's affected though, mostly J's and U-vans.

oh....well i just heard about it for the first time yesterday.....and the report said that it was discovered and announced on December 11th, 2003, and that they'd BEGIN notification in January 2004....6 months? wow, you must be like....super advanced or something..... :roll: ... maybe i'm just stupid because i don't have my browser locked to the NTHSA website......