CD player question

Brian P

Does anyone have an idea how GM radios recognize when a CD is trying to be inserted, then grabs it and sucks it in? Is there a mechanical sensor or infrared?? It seems that the '95 Olds CD/cassette player I bought has a sensor thats screwing up. Like after you take a CD out, it thinks you're putting a CD back in immediately and tries grabbing for one. Then sometimes a CD won't go in at all, like the sensor doesnt recognize it. It happened once or twice upon installation but eventually went away, I guess from use (the radio seems like it was never used and sitting- everything is stiff) and it got worse when it got real cold out, so it seems that something is sticky and could just use a dab of oil. Any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

My buddy at work used to own a stereo shop. (brother has it now) I had that problem once. He said some have a sensor and they get dirty. If you can see it inside clean it with a Q-tip. I can ask him about your stereo and see if he's ever worked on one.

Thanks. It's the double din ones used '95+ and the radio literally looks new, so I'm going to guess it's just dusty or has some sort of build up. It would run the motors like it wanted to pull in a CD but then after about 5 secs of running, error E23 comes up, then it just plays fine, and you could put a CD in again. Also supposedly it skips on occasion. It's gotta be dust. I was going to go as far as remove the stereo and take the top off and look inside, but I'll try a flashlight and maybe I can stab it lightly with a Q tip soaked in rubbing alky.

Since we are on the subject of cd players I would like to ask one.

I have an Alpine Cd thats about 3 to 4 yrs old. For the last year I have been having trouble using CDR's in my cd player. It takes forever (sometimes a few minutes) to play the cd and acts up when you FF through the disk. The funny thing is that it plays older CDR's better than the new ones. The older CDR's hace a darker underside which might make a difference?

Do you think one of those cleaning CDs would help? Anyone ever have trouble like this?

A lens cleaing solution and cleaning the tracks of where the cd loads would do all of you a world of good. I would advise against rubbing alcohol though. Its not pure alcohol which will leave a residue that could make things worse. Get some of the same lens cleaning solution to put on the q-tip. When it dries, it leaves less of a film as rubbing alcohol, but at the same time its not too abrasive, like turpentine would be. Basically you want a non volitile liquid with a high vapor pressure and low boiling point, but is also a pure substance.

damn chem classes. making me into a nerd. :lol:

heres to the life of a chemical engineer.

Denatured Alcohol?

A bodyshop guy told me that was the best for cleaning metals, glass, plastic, etc. Said it didn't leave any residue like rubbing alcohol does.