A HUD in a Regal

99RegalGS

I'm thinking about doing a custom HUD in my Regal over christmas break.

I was wondering are there any differences in the HUD's from year to year and from GP's to CS's.

I'd have to modify my dash since the Regals never came with them.

How hard to you guys think it will be to wire in?

BTW I have tried to search also.

There are 5 generations of HUDs used in W-bodies.

1st gen HUD is a visible pod above the dash. Has a glass window and a lot more internal electronics. Has a low fuel icon in addition to "CHECK GAUGES". To reduce glare from the glass window, there is a metal grating on the window. This HUD has a manual height control on the side of it. Used 88-90 in CS and GP.

2nd gen HUD is a visible pod above the dash. Has a plastic window, curved to reduce glare. Metal grating and Low fuel icon is gone. Height control is mounted onto a remote control panel and mechanically adjusts height via a cable connecting to the HUD unit. This HUD unit is a slightly smaller pod and weighs less due to less internal electronics. I have been told this HUD is blurrier than the first gen due to the plastic window. Used 91-94 in CS, 91-93 in GP.

3rd gen HUD fits inside the dash and has a plastic bezel covering it. It has a plastic window. A light sensor is added to dynamically adjust brightness based on light levels. Height control is motor-actuated and controled electronically. Used in 94-96 GP.

4th gen HUD is the same as the 3rd gen, but the speedometer reading is shrunken down a bit and a radio station display added. Used in 97-03 GP. Can be installed in 94-96 by moving some pins around.

5th gen HUD is an indash unit used in the 04 GP's. It's completely changed. Full graphical dot matrix green display. Runs off Class 2 data bus. Only wires going to it are for the control panel, power, ground, and Class2 data.

you should add that info somewhere on the site. very useful

I have a TON of info I should add to the site. :(

If the site were on my own local server, that would be a lot easier.

2nd gen HUD is a visible pod above the dash. Has a plastic window, curved to reduce glare. Metal grating and Low fuel icon is gone. Height control is mounted onto a remote control panel and mechanically adjusts height via a cable connecting to the HUD unit. This HUD unit is a slightly smaller pod and weighs less due to less internal electronics. I have been told this HUD is blurrier than the first gen due to the plastic window. Used 91-94 in CS, 91-93 in GP.

incorrect. The low fuel light is still there... i have a 2nd gen HUD. The metal grating is gone, but the low fuel is still there.

just an FYI

- Justin

I recently learned that the Bonnevilles also had HUDs. Would this be a better choice for Sean?

The Bonneville unit would have been designed to work with his Engine/ECM combination, and no matter which unit he chooses, he'll have to do custom dash work. Just a thought.

Is there some reason why the Bonneville HUD is a poor choice?

I think the basic HUD's are probably identical between the non-sports cars of the same vintage. I would bet that a bonne HUD is the same as a 3.4 or 3.1 HUD, they should all put out the same VSS readings.

incorrect. The low fuel light is still there... i have a 2nd gen HUD. The metal grating is gone, but the low fuel is still there.

just an FYI

You're right, I just checked a GP and CS HUD, and the icon is physically still there. However, the icon is disabled on the 91-94 Cutlass HUDs. It doesn't even turn on during the power-on self test. Weird.

The 90's Bonneville HUD is an indash version of the Gen 2 W-body HUD. It's actually a rather large unit and has the cable-driven height control. I think the gen 3 would be much smaller if you want it inside the dash. If Regal has a flat-topped dash and not a lot of room behind the cluster, a CS HUD is probably the way to go.

Thanks for the info guys.

From the way it sounds it might be best to go with a 3rd gen HUD.

I thought of some more questions.

-How far back is the HUD screen from the base of the window?

-How much do you guys think the HUD and Switch will cost?

-I just splice into the correct wires correct.

EDIT: Can I make the radio think work on the 97+ HUD's?

Thanks

works on mine... turns on in the self check and all... mine is a 91 TSTE HUD???

No such thing as a '91 TSTE. But, the '90 TSTEs did get the generation II HUDs. Only the 2 door TGPs got the generation I's.

I have a 93 car, and I have the low fuel icon....

Mine also has a glass window as well.