Nifty little mod - HUD

92turboLE

Ok, another "cant sleep at 2am" adventure.

Installed the HUD a while ago and decided that i didnt like the green, so i dug around in my step mothers "hobby" basket and came up with some red sulifaine (sp?) like they use in gift baskets.

Here is what it looked like before

fa65c3fd.jpg

Now after dismantleing the HUD, i used 3 layers of the sulifaine and taped it to the LED itself. Came out pretty good. Makes it a little darker and hard to see during the day, but i think well worth it.

fa65c3f8.jpg

fa65c3f5.jpg

fa65c3f0.jpg

what do yall think??? I will have some more pics on how to do it in a little while.

- Justin

yeah, i think you can get red lights, you have to pull your cluster and you can get to the lights from behind. - if you have a digi though, i dont know, i have the base cluster with speed, temp and fuel and "system monitor" - nothing digital on the cluster itself, but it all comes OEM red in the GP

- Justin

:) Understandable

You've motivated me to do this.. I'm working for a local theatre here in a week, I'll have to snag a little bit of red gel and give it a try.

I have some here at home, but it's too thick, wouldn't work as well. Need the really thin stuff.

cellophane :)

Its plastic wrap...things you cover up left over turkey and shit with and put it in the fridge. Also, same kinda stuff CDs are wraped in, or baskets.

jon

PS - that looks sweet as hell!

jon

Justin, tha'ts very impressive! Talk about being an inovator on the forum.

What can't you do @ 2:00am in the morning?

[smirks] Wanna do my A-pillar gauges for the VR6? [/smirks] :naughty:

- Erik

Justin, tha'ts very impressive! Talk about being an inovator on the forum.

What can't you do @ 2:00am in the morning?

[smirks] Wanna do my A-pillar gauges for the VR6? [/smirks] :naughty:

- Erik

I already told you i would. All you need to do is go to a j/y or something and find another a-pillar molding. I would say just use your existing one but if something were to not work out correctly then i dont wanna leave you with a ruined cover.

then just hit checker at the FnF section and get some pods. doesnt matter if they are a close fit or not. With a little fire and some motivation it can be made to fit.

- Justin

...then just hit checker at the FnF section and get some pods. doesnt matter if they are a close fit or not. With a little fire and some motivation it can be made to fit.

Fire! :twisted: I'll get a hold of over the break! Thanks Justin!

- Erik

Awesome Justin!! :cheers: If I ever get another TGP I will do the same thing! I am very sensitive to lights at night when I am driving. Red always seems to be more bearable at night. When I drove the TGP at night I would turn the dimmer way down or off as it would bug the shit out of me!

Awesome idea! 8)

Awesome Justin!! :cheers: If I ever get another TGP I will do the same thing! I am very sensitive to lights at night when I am driving. Red always seems to be more bearable at night. When I drove the TGP at night I would turn the dimmer way down or off as it would bug the shit out of me!

Awesome idea! 8)

yeah, i had that same proble, i had to turn it almost all the way, just to where i could barely see it, otherwise it was distracting and obnoxious. That and mixed with the red dash lights, it was just that much more distracting. so i solved that problem. It is way mor soothing to the eyes when it is red (as most night lights ared, such as airplane cockpit lights) Took me all of about 5 minutes to do from start to finish.

Fire! I'll get a hold of over the break! Thanks Justin!

- Erik

I mean, try and find something as close as you can to help for time. The harder it is to mold, the longer it will take, and it already takes like half a day. I think Andrina is comin down Sunday, and were gonna fuck around and do car stuff. Your more then welcome to head this way too if you like.

Lemme know

Ahhhh that red crap they use for the 3-D effect movies? ummmmmmm

You know what? I bet if you use a piece of red filter glass, cut to size, trimed round the edges with rubber edge guards and a little velco, you can securely "DROP" the glass filter into place on the HUD at night for the RED LOOK. Plus using a glass plate, it will not show any "wrinkles". :wink:

Ahhhh that red crap they use for the 3-D effect movies? ummmmmmm

You know what? I bet if you use a piece of red filter glass, cut to size, trimed round the edges with rubber edge guards and a little velco, you can securely "DROP" the glass filter into place on the HUD at night for the RED LOOK. Plus using a glass plate, it will not show any "wrinkles". :wink:

that was my othee idea, but im not sure where to get red glass - plus i think it would show through a little brighter too then plastic filters.

- Justin

Heheh, cool, I forgot you were even wanting to change its color.

Yep, I knew it would be dimmer. I tried this with a piece of transparent red plastic in my VFD DIC a few years ago. I wanted to make the dot-matrix text part of it red like it is on the LCD DIC. It does work on that too. I've been thinking to pick up some transparent red adhesive vinyl that some people use to redout the amber part of their taillights.

What is this "red gel" you speak of? Ive been projectionist at my theater for two years and Ive never heard of it. :?:

I really wasn't referring to a projection theatre, but more of a performing arts theatre.

Stage gels are colored sheets that are placed in frames, and then slid in to the front of a stage light. It changes the color of the light to add effects.

Look here:

http://www.rosco-ca.com/products/filters/filters-roscolux.html

so luke you funna see if you can get some of them for me :D :D :D

- Justin

Depends on what they will have me working on. If they put me as an electrician, then I will probably have a chance to snag a few small pieces.