Turbo project soon to be underway...again

92turboLE

ok, so finally got all the parts in, just have to pay for them. Here is what i have in:

1. Full custom Ross forged race pistons with matched pins and custom forged rods. 8.75:1 compression - $1100 - Not Shipped due to lack of funds

2. TGP Crank from dealership with employee discount (brother) $346.00 - Not Picked up yet due to lack of funds

3. fully ported and polished heads and machined for oversized valves - $FREE (buddy in Ft. Collins did em.) - DONE AND PICKED UP

4. custom ground cam from Rockford RaceCraft - $190 - DONE AND PICKED UP

5. HKS Intercooler, 18x9x3 - ebay $120 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

6. DSM BOV - Ebay $14.00 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

7. SS Valves and stiffer valve springs with retainers from GMPP with employee discount - $74.00 - Not Picked up yet due to lack of funds

8. Rebuilt Mitsu 17C turbo - same guy that did my heads and cam (from a syclone/typhoon) - $150 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

9. 160 AMP Alternator - $FREE - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

10. CO2 IC sprayer - Ebay $23.00 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

11. O-Ringed head and block (and decked too) from Hi-Pro Race Engines in Denver - $180 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

12. Custom Copper head gaskets from Hi-Pro - $60 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

13. Bore and Hone on block from Hi-Pro - $45 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

14. Custom Cowl Hood with ram air for top mount IC - so far, $72.00 but still in progress. - in the workings

15. IC and Turbo Piping - will be made when motor is put together - estimate $200 roughly - not made yet

16. CarSound 2.5 inch Hi-flow Cat - Ebay $30 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

17. (2) Flowmaster 40 series mufflers - Ebay $31 each = $62 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

18. Full 2.5 inch custom dual exhaust - $who cares, i got daddy to pay for it when im ready - Not installed yet

19. Suspension Max Custom lowering leaf spring, 1-3/4 inch drop - Yet to be determined but quoted for under $400 - production has started though. Again, got daddy to buy it for me :D - not finished yet

20. TIAL Mechanical wastegate - 15psi - Ebay $138.00 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

21. All new gaskets and bearings GMPP - $220 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

22. Turbo lines and hoses - $???? any ideas?

*EDIT* The X-over pipe is in the workings too. Im going to attempt to fabricate myself out of my existing spare regular x-over pipe.

*EDIT #2* HD Tranny cooler - JC Whitney - $65.00 - PAYED FOR AND RECIVED

*EDIT #3* FFP underdrive pulley too - not payed for nor ordered

thats about all for now - more to come for sure. I also have to pick up a tranny to have rebuilt for me.

- Justin

i certainly will... im hopeing to gety it all done by spring/summer. Im planning on heading to cali to visit some old friends then up the coast to Washington to visit friends and mom there in the summer so i want it all done by then. I have no idea what to do about a computer though. Myabe get ahold of someone that can send me a copy of a TGP chip that i can modify - at least to take out the wastegate control thing - dont know if that will effect the ECU or not. Also planning on doing MSD ignition with an in-cab timing controler and alchi injection as well and possibly 35 shot or so of nitrous to spool the turbo.

- Justin

Looks like you have a lot of good parts for the project. I wouldn't use the flowmaster muffler though as they are one of the worst mufflers to use for a turbo car. They create a ton of backpressure and on a turbo car you don't want any more backpressure as the turbo makes all the backpressure you'll need. I would get some "straight-thru" design mufflers, like either a magnaflow or a dynomax.

Check out http://www.gmpcm.com for some nice bin editing software. He also has the $8f assembly file, and the AZRC codeset(which is the last and best TGP codeset to start with). With all the differences(cam, turbo, ported heads, etc.) there will need to be a lot of changes to the tables, and it will probably be where most of your time will be spent. Getting the whole setup together and working will be the easy part if you've never tuned a car before and I suggest you get a wideband 02 or an EGT sensor.

I wish you luck with your project and make sure to post any problems you run into as I'll help in anyway I can, and I'm sure there are others as well. I'm trying to get my TGP to run 13s next summer so I'll be modding over the winter/spring as well. I ran a 14.6 with just a K&N, and a Topgun 160 chip(11-12 psi). I plan on doing a full exhaust and an intercooler CO2 sprayer and see where that gets me to. :twisted: :D 8)

good to know about the mufflers. They have, however, already been ordered - but they were only $62 for both so worst case, i could resell them on ebay. How about the Cherry bomb Turbo or Turbo II mufflers. I have heard many ppl talk about them on this board but havent heard and performance info on them. They are pretty cheap, right, like $20 each from JC Whitney or something.

- Justin

What you want ideally is a straight-thru muffler. Any "turbo" muffler generally uses internal baffles or chambers, which is exactly the kind of muffler you want to avoid. I would get a couple of Dynomax race magnum bullet mufflers. It will be a little on the loud side, but hey that's the price you pay for a good setup. That's the muffler I put on my friends '91 Sentra SE-R that we swapped a SR20DET into. He has a 3" downpipe with a 3" dynomax race muffler(like the link below) and a it exits on the passenger side before the rear tire. He runs a 13.6 @ 106 mph on only 8 psi, and thats on a T25!!! My advice, make the exhaust as big as you can and as free flowing as you can. :twisted: 8)

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/wlk-24215_m.jpg

yeah, i would love 3 inch, but i run into 2 problems... routing it for dual and then getting the parental unit to pay for it. Stepping up from 2.5 to 3 inch is a huge difference in cost. I'll see what kinda magic i can work though.

- Justin