97-03 GP ashtray toss/replace?

KnightOwl

Has anyone eliminated the ashtray assembly in favor of a set of power outlets or USB connectors?

Just curious if anyone has and how they did it/ what they used?

I have no need for the ashtray and it sitting open for the power plug is a waste of space.

I will say one thing that it’s a pain to remove. If you try something out let us know. I think it’d be kinda cool to take it out and put something more useful there.

I will say one thing that it’s a pain to remove. If you try something out let us know. I think it’d be kinda cool to take it out and put something more useful there.

Guess I've gutted this car one too many times then! Just remove the center console, two screws, a connector, and out it comes! I've been interested in replacing this myself since I don't use it, plus there's a outlet on the passenger side already

I'm sure it can be repurposed! I'm just finishing modifying the random slot by the headlight switch to hold a switch for the daytime running lights. Though I'm sure it's been done before

I have always thought about adding a power outlet in the center console like newer cars have.

I did exactly that on my friend's gp and also ran aux port there too. Wish I took some pictures. All I did was splice into the passenger outlet and put an inline connector so I could still remove the center console. Same with the aux. It looked factory though. The switch I'm working on uses the hud panel which actually fits the slot perfectly. Then I just glued the fog light toggle switch to the plate. I'm working on covering up the hud dimmer hole and lettering. Just using carbon fiber vinyl. Hope it'll turn out good!

Seriously, how about plating off the ashtray and installing a handful of USB ports? They would be hidden until the ashtray gets slid out. Another option is fundamentally the same but a couple USB ports and something useful in there when it opens like an mp3 player/ transmitter unit? USB ports are available at a number of online electronic suppliers along with 7805 voltage regulators which are easy to use to get 5V.

Edited by Imp558

I like the USB ports idea.

In my Regal I eliminated the ashtray because I needed a place for the HUD controls.

You win. Starting to smoke is a good option but not as good as HUD!

• Like 1

I've looked at a few power outlet/usb modules online, designed to expand a current outlet. I think maybe one of those in the proper size can be mounted in the space vacated by the ashtray assembly.

One more project on the list! LOL