GP pop-out cupholder

KnightOwl

As I discovered on my trip home, the Grand Prix pop-out cupholders leave a lot to be desired. I was thinking of ditching the factory piece and fabricating a single, deeper cupholder that would be more secure and not block my hand travel to the shifter.

Has any done something similar? Pics? How-to?

I was curious if butchering one from a Bonneville might work. Open for ideas!

There was, at one point, a GM-official mondo jumbo single cupholder for the Regal that replaced the factory swing-out doubles.  If you could track one of those down, I'm sure you could probably fabricate it into the GP some way. 

Edit: Moving this to general since it really doesn't have anything to do with car care or appearance.

I'm with you, Bronco Boy! I will be adding one of those farther forward for my wife, which I did in my last GP, but swapping the center one for myself is still a thing. The wire trick 94 olds vert did was neat but I'd like the cup sitting deeper in the hole. My cup looks a lot like Bronco Boy's

I'll definitely have to search for the Regal piece.

I have a 2002 and I looked online tonight for the Regal unit. Of course its a discontinued part number (to be expected) but pics I looked at appeared to be a flip out unit that folds under the console glovebox lid?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have to fabricate something but wont be the first time for that. I just want the finished product to look good.

Hands down the best cup holder I ever had was my bitchin' Godzilla one that I had stuck in my old prospector. I still have Godzilla, if the cup holders in this GS give me any crap Godzilla will save me again. Naturally he doesn't fold away but as awesome as he is I can't see a reason to hide him.

post-3252-0-94858100-1513402814_thumb.jpg

I located a cupholder insert from an 04-up GP that has a nice sloping shape to it. I think I might be able to adapt one of the two holder into the spot where the flip out resides.

One more project for the interior! :)