Changing Rack&Pinion...Will it bolt right up?

Jon89le

I have an '89GP LE and my rack has gone to shit. Its leaking like crazy(bottle of fluid every week or so) and the cars very darty. Will i have to modify anything if i step up to the SEs steering rack? They guy over at autozone said i needed different oil lines and mounting harware. I didnt exactly believe him which is why im here. Thanks for any help.

I didn't know there was a difference between the SE and the LE.

However, I have changed a power steering rack in an 89 cutlass, and it was a bitch and a half. The manual says that the subframe has to be separated from the frame. You can just drop the back half, but it takes some manuevering to get the racks in and out. The rubber boot that comes off the steering linkage is a pain in the ass to move. The most important thing is at the end, the adjustment of the tie rods.

On a scale of 1-10, its about a 6-7 for difficulty but a 12+ for time consumption.

a similar question... would there be any benefit of bumping up to a setup from a gen2??? i would think more responsive and tighter steering. is it even reasonably possible???

- Justin

if I were you, I'd get a rack for a TGP, I think that has a tighter turn radius. Other than that, I think anything Gen I would fit, but I'm a little skeptical of Gen II. We all know, as fellow W-body owners, that these cars will never turn on anything tighter than Kansas. Its the one shortcoming of an almost perfect line of cars.