Question for those who have replaced TORQUE STRUTS?

gmrulz4u

For those that know the affects of worn or crappy Torque Struts/Dog Bones:

Can you explain to me what symptoms you had?

Specifically related to the shifting of the transmission. Did it ever "clunk"? Which shifts did it "clunk" with? Did it ever slam into gear during Upshifts and/or Downshifts?

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!:)

On my Cutlass DOHC, from reverse to foward gears and vice versa, I had a driver side clunk.

Thought it was a combo of a Dog Bone (which part of it was) and a weak transmission mount...

But really turned out to be a loose rear exhaust manifold and re-torque to spec.

Never heard a single sound from it again till the day I sold it.

- Erik

like erik said - from reverse to foreward gears and vise versa. Also, ocasionally when i would be accelerating slowly in 3rd and the car downshifted into second, sometimes it would bang REALLY hard - just under light accell. also, if your in reverse and rolling slowly and pop it into drive, it should kinda hop on you (not literally but you know what i mean if you have felt it)

then i replace bushings and all was good.

- Justin

Mine was jerking in all gears and had some clunking from D-P/D-R also if you put your car in P and rev it to the limiter and the car starts jeking back and forth, they need to be replaced.

$25 or so from Checker/Shucks/Kragen

Mine was jerking in all gears and had some clunking from D-P/D-R also if you put your car in P and rev it to the limiter and the car starts jeking back and forth, they need to be replaced.

So when you say that, do you meaning that it would "jerk" when upshifting, and NOT just when you moved the shift lever?

both when i was driving (the shifts were rough) and just moving the lever. AKA the engin was moving way to much. When i looked at the bushings they had a one inch hole worn into them.

actually one of the best ways to tell. with your car on flat ground and turned off in park, open the hood, grab the upper radiator support and rock the car back and fourth. your motor shouldnt rock more then 1/2 inch or so.

anything more then that and you should probly replace them.

you can also look at the bushings and see yourself. if then look worn out, replace them. When i finally replaced mine with poly bushings, my old ones were literally non-existant. They had dried out and crumbled away completely

- Justin