Fuel Tank removal

95GS

There's a fuel smell when close to full, no odour when 2/3 or less full, approx.

No sign of leakage, except maybe a few drops one time on pavement when very full - unsure.

Could be top gasket at pump entry flange, filler hose connection, or even tank rust.

Rear tank strap bolts were changed when subframe was replaced last year.

Front bolts not yet touched.

Does one need to remove all four strap bolts to remove tank?

The rear ones look hard to access with the monoleaf in place.

Ideas...

I agree, it could be a break in one of the EVAP lines.

As far as dropping the tank goes, it's easy. It's been a long while since I dropped the tank on a 1G, but I don't remember there being four bolts, just two in the back and the straps hinge down. Rear subframe/leaf should not be in the way.

Ok thanks, are the evap lines standard stock (on a roll at NAPA) or must be ordered?

Was underneath it last night and rear bolts are definitely hid by the monoleaf stuff.

check those evap lines over before you start dealing with dropping a tank. once you get past those bolts that hold the tank up you'll find it you really should have removed the exhaust and that the lines really shouldn't Flex very far so you need to get your hand up there and unclip them. And then that big rubber hose that goes up to the filler is another whole story to get undone and put back on. If you can do this without dropping the tank that would most certainly be a good thing

Thanks Imp, so are the evap lines obvious and within reach? Will broken/cracked /split lines be apparent.

How many am I looking for?

I'm guessing at least one between tank and engine, then possibly two going to the charcoal canister at driver rear quarter?

I was thinking about this on my way home, the EVAP line has a rubber coupler either right in front of or right behind the gas tank. I wonder if that's unplugged or rotted out? you said somebody did straps and it could have gotten jostled and unplugged

Thanks for putting your mind to that. 

Yes, I changed the rear strap bolts as well as the subframe/monoleaf last fall,

so a lot of things were jostled back there.

I hope to have it in a friends garage in a few days and will look carefully for this.

I was thinking about this on my way home, the EVAP line has a rubber coupler either right in front of or right behind the gas tank. I wonder if that's unplugged or rotted out? you said somebody did straps and it could have gotten jostled and unplugged

Could you outline (sketch in words) the path of these evap hoses?