Putting SBC 350s in our W-bodys

89oldscutlass

I have read a few threads on here about some people putting v8s in thier w-bodys. So what I did was to talk to some of the guys over at v8 archies.com, There the people that sells v8 kits for Fierros. I was told by some of the guys that had bought the kit that it would work on w-body.

The bad thing is that you would might have to use the 4t60 tranny and not the 4t60e tranny. Any way im going to post some pics of this cutlass sierra station wagon they done. :D

Sorry it took so long to get the pics up and running. I dont see why it would be any harder on a w-body. But like I said the guy said you have to use the 4t60 and not the 4t60e. The base kit cost $1000 bucks for the adapter but hell look what that ASG engine cost and you could build a 350 with a whole lot less money. I figure about 3k alltogether doing the work yourself. You should be able to get in the 12s in the 1/4 mile and hell talking about stompin the shit out of ricers. :D

Wheres the alternator and water pump ? Something looks screwwy by that right side strut tower ! Does the engine have a recess in the block to accept the strut tower ? Flywheel driven water pump ? :lol: Seriously Im not seeing the reality here. I want a picture straight down from the right side.

the water pump could be an electric one, i saw a fiero conversion where instead of hacking on his strut tower the guy tapped the block for hose fittings and plugged the original water pump bolt holes(they lead to coolant passages hence the plugging) and remote mounted an electric pump.

i dont see an alternator or ps pump(did any gen1 w cars come without power steering?). alternator must be way down low, i'd think he has to be using a combo damper/pulley to run the alternator because a standard sbc pulley-on-top-of-damper setup is way too deep to be in there. even then it looks like he woulda had to clearance the framerail for balancer clearance. that or he hacked the strut tower and frame to hell and back because i think i can almost see a chevy orange water pump snout.

I want a pic of the right side with the tire and inner fender off. Also want a pic. of the car with plates and inspection. Then I'll still want a pic of car with plate, inspection moving down the road, maybe leaving some rubber. They can put the right tire back on for that one. :lol:

To look at the front bank cyl head it looks like the rear bank would have clearence problem with the strut. Theres a little room to the spring I guess. Maybe if you go with those narrower coilover racing struts ?

If they fit in Fieros I guess they would fit in anything. Get a few spare tranny's. After a few tranny swaps one would get pretty effecient at them.

That has to be one hell of a bitch to keep cool. Think of all the heat running in there. I think i see the orange water pump also. Looks like a good plan for my car. Yea, not happening unless its converted to RWD. Which in that case i would just by a WS6.

wouldn't a 350 like, destroy a 4t60 rather quickly? but a 350 in a lumina... haha, that would be bad. A northstar 4.6 would probably cost a whole hell of a lot more than a 350, and 350s are waaaaaay more modifiable... pushrod vs DOHC, the 350 would weigh less too. Probably. I know the LS1/6 weighs less than a northstar.

I dont think the tranny would be as big a problem going out as much as going through axels. Guess you could use a 3 speed automatic what are they called? I think there a 125 cant remember. They make the v8 kit for a straight shift too. Hmm getrag 5 speed with 350sbc sounds like a fun combo. Anyway heres the link so you can check out the v8kits for the fieros.

http://www.v8archie.com

Ok guys I got a email from Archie on his v8 kits, he said that we would have to buy the economy kit for our cars and that the only thing we would have to make is the bracket for the powersteering pump. Second he said we could either get the kit for the automatic or if we had the getrag we could get that kit. Both kits are the same price whether you get the straight shift or automatic economy kit. I tried to see if he would just sell the adapter for the tranny and he wont so anyway theres a alternative for the caddy engine. :D