CD Players

xxXRandyyXxx

i have a stock one that is pretty cheap out of my cutty. Cheap enough that the cd goes in, doesnt play, and comes out when it wants; usually when you first start the car it spits it out. Thats why it is now sitting on a shelf in my garage and I have a Pioneer now that the face plate went to shit and you can read anything nothing but just a few lines here and there. Fucking stupid. P3500 i think the deck is called pretty good deck, go to soundomain.com they are cheaper than most stores.

Ive got a JVC (forgot model #) thats always on sale for $99.99 at Best Buy and Circuit City. It sounds really good and doesnt skip even when I jump railroad tracks (its in my truck but going into the car).

Look at panasonic's MXE decks. they have a 2 year factory warranty and they have a ton of features for the price.

This one might do it for you, but it doesn't play mp3s:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-poAebEIHHEJ/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=300&I=133DPX153&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

I'd get this one for $170. take a look at the sirius tuner deal they have too, it's pretty sweet. you buy an antenna and get a tuner free.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-poAebEIHHEJ/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=300&I=133DFX403&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

let us know what your price range is and what you might do in the future, we might be able to help you more. i'd stick with alpine, clarion, panasonic, and pioneer. i think they'll sound better than your cheaper sony, jvc or kenwood decks.

good luck

You say cheaper sony deck. i Owned one of the better explod decks and that thing sounded awesome. The only reason i would choose my pioneer over it is becuase the pioneer is new and the sony was a year old. It was also stolen out of my car. I think pioneer has the best sound controls when putting sound to different speakers. Thats the only thing i did not like about Sony.

I had two sony's die on me, they just stopped playing cds. i don't neccesarily think they sound bad, they just aren't reliable in my experience. my pioneer has lasted twice as long as my two sonys combined.

if i had a choice, i'd get an alpine right now, but panasonic is a solid brand with a ton of features for the price.

My sony deck sounds really good actually....I have had many decks and my current sony compares well to them....I have had pioneer, Kenwood, alpine, clarion and eclipse.

My experience with the sound quality went as follows:

Eclipse

Alpine (older model, the new Alpine stuff is cheap)

Clarion

Kenwood

Sony

Pioneer

....don't forget, this was my experience...

i ended up getting a pioneer - dont remember model number off hand - but it has a built in TV tuner, DVD, MP3, XM, video outputs, video inputs, aux inputs, front and rear RCA outputs, seperate SUB RCA outputs, 50Wx4 power, remote control, Organic EL 3 color display, CD Changer controls, removable flip down face.

all of that shipped to my door for $187 even! - it was an 02 model os it needed to go but it is brand new and has a full warrenty.

I will post the link of where i got it when i can find it.

- Justin

i ended up getting a pioneer - dont remember model number off hand - but it has a built in TV tuner, DVD, MP3, XM, video outputs, video inputs, aux inputs, front and rear RCA outputs, seperate SUB RCA outputs, 50Wx4 power, remote control, Organic EL 3 color display, CD Changer controls, removable flip down face.

all of that shipped to my door for $187 even! - it was an 02 model os it needed to go but it is brand new and has a full warrenty.

I will post the link of where i got it when i can find it.

- Justin

sounds like a good deal...

I would get one that plays MP3's. The ones that don't play MP3's aren't worth crap, IMO.

I have a Pioneer DEH-P7400MP in my truck.

Sony MEX-5DI for the Cutty.

I just picked up a Panasonic MXE-CQ2083U for a different Cutty.

GM cars don't have a clock, and stick-ons look trashy, so I'm not sure I would recommend Panasonic because the higher-end ones at least, have puny clocks. The Panasonic and Sony play up MP3's faster than the Pioneer, but the Pioneer was the best bang for the buck and has the best display for sunny days, overcast days, etc. It also has the biggest clock! I've read the newer Pioneers load MP3's faster... today I'd probably grab a DEH-P7500MP.

as for low end cd players, i had good luck with my deh-p4300 from a couple years back, never had a problem with it until i wrecked my other car. now i'm getting a high-end eclipse or alpine for competition but i'd suggest pioneer over other brands if you're spending under $350, i'd steer away from sony, their car audio line of products isn't one of their greatest accomplishments.

as for low end cd players, i had good luck with my deh-p4300 from a couple years back, never had a problem with it until i wrecked my other car. now i'm getting a high-end eclipse or alpine for competition but i'd suggest pioneer over other brands if you're spending under $350, i'd steer away from sony, their car audio line of products isn't one of their greatest accomplishments.

I steer clear of the newer alpine products, they are basically garbage

I steer clear of the newer alpine products, they are basically garbage

Garbage? wtf....

Alpine probably make the best decks out there... Period.

they USED to...their older models are MUCH MUCH better quality than their new products....

Garbage is a relative word in this case, they are good, but not even close to the quality of the their older HU's,

Man, you own a Sony deck.... They were always known for being low quality.

I own an older Alpine, which is an excellent deck, and I know lots of people with new Alpine's, that are even better.

Man, you own a Sony deck.... They were always known for being low quality.

I own an older Alpine, which is an excellent deck, and I know lots of people with new Alpine's, that are even better.

instead of trying to bash me, why don't you take some time and read some reviews or talk to some people who really know their $hit and find out what they think of the older alpine HU vs. the newer ones.....

Garbage? wtf....

I would beg to differ with that!

some of the best decks i have ever seen have been:

a) Pioneer - for reliability

B) Nakamichi - Extremely clean sound, very simple, clean interface, No bullshit. Also very reliable - clean lines too - its a sexy deck.

c) Sadly enough, the Rockford fosgate decks werent too bad either.

d) Alpine only if your planning on doing bass comp. The sound quality is terrible in most. All they really have going for them is power.

e) Sony - yes, they have gotten better. They solved the problem of the "CD not ejecting" issue with the rollers. They still arent the greatest things in the world, but they also arent very expensive either. Personally i hate the styling of them.

- Justin

I think the styling of most new HU's is ugly as hell.

Pioneers are okay, but still not good looking.

Panasonic ghost face HU's are the best looking I've seen to date. I'm not talking about the display, I think Pioneer has everyone beat in that department (except maybe the full color Sony's), but for actual styling and appearance the ghost face Panasonic is awesome.

I agree, Nakamichi decks do sound really good. But I think Alpine hang with them. And man are you right about their styling, they actually look really old and simple, but they definetely, definetely sound good.

Panasonic are definetely pretty good decks, although I do hate the styling of their new decks.

Rockford decks? I hate them, I think they sound muddy and distorted.

None of them are as bad as Clarion, their decks sound like shit! My buddy has one, and man is it disappointing..