Power steering line blew...

ernrcr3

Dunno which one, all I see is smoke and reeks really bad. Checked the fluid in the p/s pump and really low. Stops smoking when I dont turn the wheel, but smokes like a bitch when I turn the wheel. I still have power steering, so Im assuming its not the High Pressure line. But I am loosing fluid.

I know if its the High Pressure line Its BIG $$ to fix. Mostly the labor cuz of my good friend the 3.4 DOHC with its big ass in the way of everything...

ANY ONE have this problem before with a DOHC? Or any for that matter...

If so, how did you handle it?

Guess it sits all day tomorrow and to the mechanic on Monday.

-ern

power steering return line

havent had the problem, but i have replaced it. Only two lines, like 40 dollars for the pair if i rememeber correctly, might wanna just replace both

I replaced my high pressure line, it was a bitch..

You have to support the engine (I used a chain hoist, and a chain between the 2 hoist brackets) and loosen the front 2 subframe bolts, and then remove the rear 2 bolts (keeping the engine and subframe up with the hoist!!)

After you have both rear bolts out, you can gradually lower the engine and subframe with the hoist, until the rear mounts on the subframe have opened up about 4-5". This will give you barely enough access to the high pressure line fitting on the rack, but not too much clearance so that it seperates the steering shaft.

In my case this fitting was seized (which is usually the case), so I then used a neumatic grinder and cut the line off (messy!!), and then took the fitting off (which is a bitch).

I haven't mentioned all the small crap you have to do, like removing my intake, coolant reservoir, whatever so the engine can lower without problems, and give you access to what you need to do.

It took me a while to get this job done, but it was worth the money I saved. If you aren't good with tools and don't have the right equipment, you don't have much choice but to bring the car somewhere to get it fixed.

Good luck.