Question on Tires.....Check em out!!!

john99gtp

So i got some Z34 Rims from Z34_Nut, and noticed that they came with 225/60R16. I know this is stock for the Z, and a 16" option for some lumi's, but on my car, for the specfic year, it says I should get 215/55R16. I dont care about the speedometer messing up, but will I have the clearance to run the 225/60R16? Im asking cause I found a good set for the right price (FREE!!!)

Thanks in advanced.

John

I dont care about the speedometer messing up, but will I have the clearance to run the 225/60R16? Im asking cause I found a good set for the right price (FREE!!!)

Yes, you will have the clearance. You'll only increase the total wheel diameter by a few centimeters.

However you speedometer will be off... you'll read slow, therefore the car is going faster that what you speedo reads.

Miata.net has a great Tire Calculator to determine if you are getting to small or big of tire.

Bottom Line: Get the tires! They're free and they'll work out for you!

- Erik

I dont care about the speedometer messing up, but will I have the clearance to run the 225/60R16? Im asking cause I found a good set for the right price (FREE!!!)

Yes, you will have the clearance. You'll only increase the total wheel diameter by a few centimeters.

However you speedometer will be off... you'll read slow, therefore the car is going faster that what you speedo reads.

Miata.net has a great Tire Calculator to determine if you are getting to small or big of tire.

Bottom Line: Get the tires! They're free and they'll work out for you!

- Erik

Sweet, im going back tonite to have them put on :)

Thanks for responding Erik. When I get the money, I will get the right size, the 215's, but those are gonna be hella expensive. Ill take some pics when I get them too, since steelies suck :)

John

Sweet, im going back tonite to have them put on :)

Thanks for responding Erik. When I get the money, I will get the right size, the 215's, but those are gonna be hella expensive. Ill take some pics when I get them too, since steelies suck :)

No problem! Glad to be here and helping out!

Remember as your 225's wear down, you speedo will actually read more accurate to your true speed.

I wouldn't worry too much about tires till they wear out, if finaces are an issue.

Just be coherent that you're driving a little faster than what your reading and you'll be fine.

Please post pickies! I wanna see! I wanna see! :yikes:

- Erik

yeah, John92lumina, just keep the 225s, they look better. I wouldnt even bother going to down to 215s when the 225s wear out. Plus, I bet your speedo is only off by maybe 1-2% at 70mph with the 225s, which is like .7-1.4mph. Thats nothing

I would definetly get the 225's. I just put hi-po 225/60's on my CS and they look a lot better and handle great compared to the 205's I had before. I'm not sure if these new tires cause my speedometer to misread or not. Either way, the advantages to the wider tires far outway the disadvantages.

aww man. I agree, the alloys look wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than those steels. I would stick with the 225s, BUT

#1. If I cut a corner Really HArd, my right tire rubs against some plastic.

Thats the only but :)

Maybe i can cut away some of it. PIcs tomorrow, way to late now.

John

(PS: Is there like a container of some sort that sits underneath the battery, in front of the tire on my car? Just wondering, sorry to throw topic off)

Eh what the hell.

I took these in the dark of night, so it was pretty much hit or miss.

Sorry for the quality, I took them at 12:45 in the morning :)

http://barbieri.dyndns.org/drag/rim1.jpg

http://barbieri.dyndns.org/drag/rim2.jpg

If you want a before pic:

http://barbieri.dyndns.org/drag/car%201.jpg

Ya ya ya, ill fix the dents. My car has a crap load of cosmetic damage :cry:

John

(PS: Is there like a container of some sort that sits underneath the battery, in front of the tire on my car? Just wondering, sorry to throw topic off)

Yup, thats the vacuum reservoir.

with a 245/50/16 as an option.

50 series= $$$$$$$$$$$$

Not to much money. i can get some from work for a pretty nice price.

Z's came with 225, for my lumi, the 16" option is 215/55R16, and thats to keep the speedo on.

With the 215s, I bet it wont rub either. :cry:

Oh well, thats nothing compared to what else is wrong with my car. (what isnt?)

John

I liked the steelies....

Please tell me you are kidding :lol:

Those steelies made my car look like the piece of crap that it is. Now with these rims, it a nice piece of crap :)

John

Two more crappy pics. Damn this nite time.

Ill get good ones in the morning, I promise :)

John, they look good! Nice steel! Did those tires say Bridgestones?

How does the ride feel now? Better cornering? :naughty:

- Erik

Two more crappy pics. Damn this nite time.

Ill get good ones in the morning, I promise :)

John, they look good! Nice steel! Did those tires say Bridgestones?

How does the ride feel now? Better cornering? :naughty:

- Erik

Yes to all.

And i also got better pics too

http://barbieri.dyndns.org/drag/rim7.jpg

http://barbieri.dyndns.org/drag/rim8.jpg

They are bridgestones, but the price was right. The ride is SO much smoother over my BF Goodrich's, and cornering is far better. The new tires, coupled with my STB, works wonders. So little body roll, such faster turning :)

Was a good thing to do for my car, it looks better with the rims, handles better, rides better. A win-win for me :)

John