my new car

92gpse

I can give you the quick update on what's going on here with the DOHC [LQ1]:

* Ait Intake = custom job done by yourself or your buddies (recommend Cold Air)

* Exhaust = local muffler shop; use mandrel bent pipe & not recommend to exceed 2.5" diameter

* Chip (1991 - 1993 only) = Fast Forward Performance has user setting to get the most out of your motor.

* performance advanced / retard timing of intake / exhaust valves

* port + polishing of intake and heads

* increased throttle body diameter

* 3- or 5-angle job on intake / exhaust ports

And if your really into building something big:

* custom turbocharger set-up (talk to Brian89GP / RedZMonte / TimG)

There are tons of old posts about all of these upgrades.

As for the tranny, it can be strong but only if it's not neglected.

Many have blown several due to hard shifts, abuse and an age factor come into play.

My highest recommendation: change the fluid often, watch for warning signs, and do your basic maintenance on the car.

That'll keep things going for your in the long haul. Nice snag! Best of luck!

- Erik

thanks ive been searching on the internet about everything i could think of and the best thing i can find is reviews. i think it already has a chip in it im not entirely sure yet i havent even taken the car home yet so i still have to give it a complete inspection.

Nice car btw... :P

My recommendations for your first mods are intake and exhaust. This is what I have done to my car so far.

For the cold air intake, I got mine from RedZMonte, and I simply love it. It's such an awesome mod to the 3.4, it makes the engine sound super mean coming at you. It's really loud and it really doesnt sound like a GM car coming at you. Sounds like something exotic.

And for exhaust, I recommend these three mods:

Carsound Highflow catalytic converter

Some kind of glasspack resonator (or Magnaflow round muffler, what I have..)

And Magnaflow Universal fit mufflers

These are the mods I have done, and I love them.

After these mods the first mods I would do if I were you are, the computer chip from FFP, and under drive pulley from FFP.

For suspension, front and rear STB's will help out greatly, and are not that expensive. My recommendation is to go with 92turbole's Strut Tower Braces. His website can be found here: http://www.freewebs.com/92turbole/

If you want to see what the cold air intake looks like, just look in my sig. Or if you want I can send you the full size images.

Later