Trunk battery mounting

Dark Ride

Thanks for the link, I probably won't spend that much on a box, but that gives me an idea of what folks are doing.

I used the wires from a set of jumper cables and ran both positive and ground to the engine.  Then I grounded the motor and chassis together and grounded the battery to the stud on the rear strut.

there was some discussion in that thread about hydrogen being released into the passenger area. I personally didn't like that idea so I went with the box I could seal and then vented it through the floor.

Mine isn't permanent yet, I have to remedy that in the spring. I grabbed the wiring from an 04ish? Bonneville, but it's about 1-2' shorter than it really shoul be. Haven't had any issues though

Moving the battery to the trunk is an exercise in futility.  There's a never-ending stream of complaints from people who have done just that; and they all center around failure to charge properly, or failure to power the starter motor properly.  The solution--which is generally ridiculed--is to use adequate copper on both the + and the - side, instead of too-small copper on the + side, and a bunch of steel unibody spot-welds on the - side.  Even when they're told how to check for voltage drop, they 1.  Won't bother to perform the tests, and 2) Go right back to bitching about how "the starter doesn't work right any more", and "does anyone have a recommendation for different starters because the last thirty-two I installed have all been defective."

Secondarily, there are problems with electrolyte spilling and corroding the living sh!t out of the floor and seat springs (so buy an Optima or similarly "sealed" or "AGM" battery)

Fumes in the passenger compartment are the least of your worries.  Every VW (original) Beetle and a heaping pile of other cars put the battery under the rear seat.  Of course, they also have vent hose arrangements to duct the fumes outside the passenger compartment.

Consider this:  What happens when you hit something head-on, and fifty pounds of battery come flying forward, bouncing through the passenger compartment because you went cheap on the hold-down hardware, or anchored the hold-down to weak sheetmetal insufficient to retain the battery?

Leaving the battery up front causes few issues, doesn't require re-wiring the vehicle, and is safer.

What has Schurkey found to fix the washer bottle problem in a W?

Legitimate question btw.

I had to rob a washer motor/pump from my '93 to replace a failed washer motor/pump on the '92.  If the '93 ever goes back on the road, I'll have to buy a washer motor/pump to replace the one I took.

What washer bottle "problem" do you have?

I don't really have a washer problem, but it's well known that the washer bottle over the battery was the worst thing that GM did to these cars. I took it out on mine because I have an AGM battery in my Cutlass but I have thought of relocating the battery in the trunk since I wanted to run 2 amps in my car for the sound system. 

Dodge intrepid washer bottle, mine sits in the bumper side area and the fill is on a tube under the hood

I've thought about that but does it fit without bothering the vacuum ball?

I don't really have a washer problem, but it's well known that the washer bottle over the battery was the worst thing that GM did to these cars.

Piston slap, shitty brake boosters, and cheap O-rings on the oil pump drive are each ten times worse than putting a formed-plastic washer bottle on top of a maintenance-free Delco battery.

The battery can be charged or the vehicle jump-started using the accessory post.  How often do you need to access the battery?  Once every five years?

I don't really have a washer problem, but it's well known that the washer bottle over the battery was the worst thing that GM did to these cars. I took it out on mine because I have an AGM battery in my Cutlass but I have thought of relocating the battery in the trunk since I wanted to run 2 amps in my car for the sound system. 

Speaking to a mechanic friend tonight who opined that the trailing arm body mount is a main reason these cars 

are no longer seen up here in the northeast salt belt. Probably a deal breaker for a lot of owners once the car is

over 10 years old.

Piston slap, shitty brake boosters, and cheap O-rings on the oil pump drive are each ten times worse than putting a formed-plastic washer bottle on top of a maintenance-free Delco battery.

The battery can be charged or the vehicle jump-started using the accessory post.  How often do you need to access the battery?  Once every five years?

You forgot the turn signal switch and the 4th drive gear (Galaxie500 knows what I'm talking about in the 94 and 95 cars where the trans will go into 3rd gear because of some pressure ring or something of the sort). I'd add the weatherstripping on the verts too since apparently, 95% of the remaining cars leak when it rains.

As far as the battery, I usually end up taking it out at least once a year. I don't "change it" or "swap it" out but I end up using the AGM battery in another car, depending on the situation. 

The bottle won't fit over the AGM battery. It's longer. 

Speaking to a mechanic friend tonight who opined that the trailing arm body mount is a main reason these cars 

are no longer seen up here in the northeast salt belt. Probably a deal breaker for a lot of owners once the car is

over 10 years old.

The trailing arm mount is under $100 at a weld shop here

Imp, I was encouraged when you earlier mentioned this - that's a good price, esp. when considering that it must be accurately placed.

(If you know how they position/locate new mounts into corroded holes let me know - i.e. what's their reference point?...is the rear knuckle stable enough without the trailing arm fixed in place?)

But my guess is that most mechanics will not do this work (it's too custom, not plug & play), or they're  simply not welders, and that not every weld shop would take on this job, or do it right. So you might be unusually well-placed to 1) understand the problem & explain it, and 2) have a skilled welder who has seen this before and isn't groping in the dark.

Likely, the average w-body owner when faced with this problem on a 10 to 20 year old car will be told "the frame is rotten, a minimum of xxx hundred when we send it out for welding, no guarantees for the rest of the frame...etc."

As you know, any car will run indefinitely with the right combination of knowledge, ability, desire, cash. The average owner may lack the first three and so revert to the bank for a replacement vehicle. That seems to be the western way. Not DIY like many members here.

• Like 1