Got the driver side seat repaired

W30olds

After 20 years of use my drivers seat cushion was gone. When I got home from work today I decided to fix it. The passengers side is like new, so I swapped the cushions. Once I figured out how to get the cushion off the seat frame I noticed what had failed. The springs frame had broken in the front and had chewed up the foam padding. Well after some thinking I used some heavy duty zip ties and repaired the broken supports and secured them back to the seat frame. I used the passenger side cushion as a replacement. Put it all back together and back in the car. Now the drivers seat feels like new. No more poking me in the ass! I also found the interior tag still on the passenger seat with the seat code. Now I'm looking for a replacement seat with a good cushion for the passenger seat. Found a few on carparts.com and waiting to hear back from several places. Hopefully I will find a matching seat soon. I took a few pics which I will try and post. All in all the fix wasn't that hard once I figured how the seats came apart.

post-9404-0-99347700-1475804670_thumb.jpg

post-9404-0-91374600-1475804683_thumb.jpg

post-9404-0-87190700-1475804695_thumb.jpg

post-9404-0-98164700-1475804725_thumb.jpg

post-9404-0-41089500-1475804748_thumb.jpg

Seriously, our town has a store that sells different types of foam and upholstery repair stuff. Your city should have something similar since you likely have furniture where you live too, new foam that you can cut with an electric carving knife is really cheap so you may be able to restore the passenger's seat quick and cheap.

I did the same thing to my Cutlass a few years ago, and changed the seat back upholstery too. The only problem with changing the seat back is a little slit on the wrong side(to allow the seat to fold up)  from when it used to be a passenger seat. Otherwise fit is perfect. I still have one more bucket seat in reserve when my current one wears out.

My wife came up with a very good idea when I was adding a power seat track to the passenger seat of the Cutlass.  A seam was broken open, but the leather was still in good shape.  An upholstery shop had quoted $150.00 to repair the seam.

I had to take the upholstery off of the seat to fix the recline feature on the seat, and asked my wife if she could sew the seam.  She looked at it for a while, and decided it really wasn't something she could sew on her machine--but suggested taking the upholstery to a shoe repair place.  They sew leather all the time, so they had the right equipment to take care of it.  It cost me around $6.00 to have the seam sewn.  It still looked great two years later when I sold the car.

• Like 2

Found a guy locally who said he could help me with cushion. Going to go by after work and talk to him. The fabric itself is in good shape. Just need the foam cushion replaced. It was awesome driving to work this morning on a new seat. Forgot how comfortable this seat use to be.

OK so that's a no on the upholstery guy. He wants $350 to do the seat bottom. No thanks. I can get a while seat for around $100 at the junkyard. Problem is finding the seat. Have one lead to contact. Hopefully they will be able to help.

one thing I heard in the past to help keep the wire from cutting the foam is getting a piece of thin plastic or even cardboard and putting it between the foam and springs. this keeps it from cutting in.

one thing I heard in the past to help keep the wire from cutting the foam is getting a piece of thin plastic or even cardboard and putting it between the foam and springs. this keeps it from cutting in.

Thank man! I didn't even think about that. When I find a cushion for the passenger side I will do this to both seats.

look for the thin, flexible cutting boards. usually come in 3 packs. That's what I planned to use when I was doing my blazer

Will do. Thanks again for the idea.

• 4 weeks later...

On my old Bonneville I had a similar issue. I didn't bother swapping the foam but I cut cardboard and put it between the foam and springs, worked like a charm.