Documents.

jiggity76

So I was wondering if I should laminate all the service documents, recall notices from GM, and the original window sticker for my 89 International Cutlass.  It's all in good shape but some of them were stuck together in a folder and luckily they came apart ok.  Thought maybe laminating them would preserve them better but wanted to know if that was a good idea.  I'm afraid if I put them in a folder again, they would just stick together and then tear apart if you tried to separate them after some time passed.

The previous owner of my TGP was nice enough to laminate the window sticker and some other stuff for me. I would recommend it if you plan on keeping the car. I've been meaning to look at laminators myself since I have plenty of stuff I want to preserve.

I do plan on keeping it, although it's going to need a lot of restoration work.  I thought it would be worth it since the original owner kept extraordinary records of the car and the International cars are getting or are rare now.  Thanks.  I think that's what I'm going to do.  I have a friend who has access to a laminator at her job so it wouldn't cost me anything.  I want to put everything in a binder once it's all laminated.  I've seen some really nice low mileage TGP's for sale lately by the way.  All are red, tan interior and I think I've seen three now advertised.  Looks like a couple have cloth interiors and with moon roofs.

There are more common classic muscle cars and sport coupes (and clones) out there than some of the rarer Ws, I would preserve everything possible because despite some not thinking it awhile back, some of these cars may wind up being sought after after all. Ive had a few offers already but not interested in parting with any just yet.

In the world of millions of bland 4D cars these get noticed more and more. Start your resto work now to prevent more work down the line. Keep it working mechanically and electronically and keep the rust from forming best you can.

• Like 2

There are more common classic muscle cars and sport coupes (and clones) out there than some of the rarer Ws, I would preserve everything possible because despite some not thinking it awhile back, some of these cars may wind up being sought after after all. Ive had a few offers already but not interested in parting with any just yet.

In the world of millions of bland 4D cars these get noticed more and more. Start your resto work now to prevent more work down the line. Keep it working mechanically and electronically and keep the rust from forming best you can.

The same thing was said in the 70's when what we consider "classic" and "desirable" cars were in abundance. If you told someone in 1973 that their 1971 Chevelle Malibu would end up holding 3 times its value in 2011, they would look at you funny and think you're weird. Well 40 years later, a 1971 unmolested Chevelle Malibu can go for $40,000. Isn't that crazy? I bet a lot of people wish they held on to their I6 A body and either swapped it to a V8 or sold it to someone to do such a thing. Shit, even the 4th gen Novas (the ones that nobody liked back in their day) are picking up in value. They may not touch the 66 or 67's value (the short gen) but they can easily call for $5000 now.

The same thing happened with Datsun cars. Nobody thought old Datsuns would be worth anything but nowadays people look for the Z cars and restore them. The trucks are popular too.

Anyways, as time has gone on, people have realized certain cars had a specific allure. My Z34 always got looks and questions, my 94 vert gets constant compliments despite that I've been driving it gutted for the past 2 years. Some people automatically know it's a project car but I still get questions, looks, comments, the whole 9.

I've also gotten stares in my 89 Regal... even though it's a total bucket. Paint is peeling on it, the previous owners spraypainted it in sections, etc.

Nas, your positive post has given me hope. My '92 California car vert runs great, but it's all of those little things now like the rubber around the rear disappearing side windows and the rubber below them, the horn sticks, the bright headlight switch got messed up when buddy worked on for me. There are rear suspension issues. Needs new top, few small dents removal. Thought of giving up and selling at a big loss now after all the money I already paid. But when I get in and drive it, I smile and forget many of those things. I guess car matches me well because I'm old, complicated, and falling apart too. But car has only 77k miles and starts at the flick of the key. I've had car up to 100 mph and drove to Vegas and back about 600 miles with no problem. So, I guess I won't give up, plus I'd feel like I let you guys down if I quit now. I think I want it all in a hurry, but I've only had car 9 months and it's vastly improved since I bought it. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Edited by Billyvannuys

Bottom line, if you like the car, by all means fix it up.  Will it be valuable?  Impossible to tell...I'm sure my father regretted many times trading our '67 SS/RS Camaro in 1976 for a V6 Buick Skylark, but in 1976, the Camaro was simply a 9 year old car.  My son always got a bit of a kick out of pointing out when we'd drive the '95  Cutlass convertible to car shows that we were driving something far rarer than many of the featured cars on display--it's simply not as desirable as a '57 Chevy---yet.  Maybe it will, maybe it wont, but I enjoyed that car while I owned it.

My old '64 Galaxie500XL was a blast to drive, I kept it 18 years, and drove it over 200,000 miles, but it NEVER became particularly valuable or desirable while I owned it, because everyone was hot for Thunderbirds and Mustangs.

Sort of like my IROC.  I've always wanted one, ever since I saw my first one back in 1985, but never imagined I'd see a time that the values of them are rising at a fair clip, and nice examples now cost as much as the cars did new.

But, I'd have bought mine even if that wasn't true, simply because I've always liked and wanted one.

• Like 1

Yes Galaxie500, in fact, in the nine months I've had the vert and driven 4,000 miles in two states, I have never seen another one, or even a hardtop Olds Cutlass W coupe for that matter. Rare indeed.

Edited by Billyvannuys

Nas, your positive post has given me hope. My '92 California car vert runs great, but it's all of those little things now like the rubber around the rear disappearing side windows and the rubber below them, the horn sticks, the bright headlight switch got messed up when buddy worked on for me. There are rear suspension issues. Needs new top, few small dents removal. Thought of giving up and selling at a big loss now after all the money I already paid. But when I get in and drive it, I smile and forget many of those things. I guess car matches me well because I'm old, complicated, and falling apart too. But car has only 77k miles and starts at the flick of the key. I've had car up to 100 mph and drove to Vegas and back about 600 miles with no problem. So, I guess I won't give up, plus I'd feel like I let you guys down if I quit now. I think I want it all in a hurry, but I've only had car 9 months and it's vastly improved since I bought it. Thanks for the encouraging words.

The window sweeps can be fixed with the ones from a 93-02 F body. I've never done it but 94 olds vert has. He has a how to on the forum. It would be something to consider doing or having done.

The horn just needs a new pad. My hornpad got stuck too, but in my situation I had the airbag with the steering wheel controls. I said to hell with it and put in an aftermarket steering wheel. It's a 3 spoke 320mm (13 inch) wheel. It's also dished in. I'll post pics of it on here and hijack the thread or you can look for my build thread. I have it on there.

Bottom line, if you like the car, by all means fix it up.  Will it be valuable?  Impossible to tell...I'm sure my father regretted many times trading our '67 SS/RS Camaro in 1976 for a V6 Buick Skylark, but in 1976, the Camaro was simply a 9 year old car.  My son always got a bit of a kick out of pointing out when we'd drive the '95  Cutlass convertible to car shows that we were driving something far rarer than many of the featured cars on display--it's simply not as desirable as a '57 Chevy---yet.  Maybe it will, maybe it wont, but I enjoyed that car while I owned it.

My old '64 Galaxie500XL was a blast to drive, I kept it 18 years, and drove it over 200,000 miles, but it NEVER became particularly valuable or desirable while I owned it, because everyone was hot for Thunderbirds and Mustangs.

Sort of like my IROC.  I've always wanted one, ever since I saw my first one back in 1985, but never imagined I'd see a time that the values of them are rising at a fair clip, and nice examples now cost as much as the cars did new.

But, I'd have bought mine even if that wasn't true, simply because I've always liked and wanted one.

Value in my opinion is subjective. The verts will definitely have some sort of value past $1000 due to its rarity but they would only appeal to people who miss Oldsmobile. Someone would probably pay $4000 or more for a good example of a 91-95 CSC but the sedan will be gone and not missed, just like those late 70's A body sedans with the fixed rear windows on the doors.

But that's the irony of the 1st gen W's. Take it anywhere and you get comments, looks, and 90% chance you're the only one with such a car. I get stopped at gas stations and get questions about it, I always get comments at stop lights... and this is not even a fully restored car. It's hilarious to me.

I feel like the W's will become like Corvairs. It will be a while for them to hit their peak but when they do it will be because there's nothing like them in the market in the modern time. These cars (along with the Sebring) were the last mid sized coupes and convertibles. When FCA stopped making the Sebring convertible in 2013, it marked the end of an era. The last American mid size 2 door car was gone. Only companies with a comparable car are Mercedes and Honda with the E class coupe (formally CLK) and the Accord.

Yes Galaxie500, in fact, in the nine months I've had the vert and driven 4,000 miles in two states, I have never seen another one, or even a hardtop Olds Cutlass W coupe for that matter. Rare indeed.

Yours is even rarer. They didn't make much of them in 92. 94 was the year they made the most verts.