Low boost recently

dogginred90

I know my car isn't a W, but the heart is. I have an 89 Z24 with a 3.1 turbo engine. When we did the transplant and installed a Jeff M chip it had about 12 lbs of boost. Fast forward a few years and it was down to about 7lbs. We figured the stock clutch couldn't handle the boost and it was dropping off cause of it. Well now this year I and getting around 3 or 4 lbs. I haven't had time to look into it until today. No vacuum leaks. I have bypassed the manual boost controller and bypassed the blow off valve. And it's still the same. Would a lower intake seaping oil be enough of a leak to drop my boost that low. Oh and I have a small pinhole leak in my crossover pipe. Thanks guys

Have you checked the wastegate actuator? See this thread: http://www.tgpforums.com/index.php/topic,2590.0/nowap.html. The other alternative to test it is to temporarily wire the wastegate shut and go for a test drive. A quick stab of the throttle should be more than adequate for you to see if you're surpassing that 4lbs of boost you're currently seeing. Be aware overboost will occur if you stay in the throttle for long with the wg tied shut.

Well I guess it's a faulty wastegate. No change in boost holding it shut. And the gauge works just fine, cause I can tell the difference between 12 lbs and 4lbs of boost. I guess low boost is better since the wife is abit scared of low boost already. She would shit with 12 lbs of boost lol

• 4 weeks later...

Boost is fixed!!! It is now around 10 lbs. Had a cracked rubber coupler. Now my next issue is that sometimes the coupler that clamps to the throttle body pops off under boost lol. It can't handle it lol. Not a huge issue, but annoying to say the least.