Pre '97 Grand Prix

Dannymik

I need to know the difference in the grand prixs before the 1997 models. The thing that puzzles me is the difference between the "GT's" and the "GTP's". I know the "SE's" had the 3.1 or the 3100 in them. Can anyone help me out please with some specific info? Thank You :peace:

there was no GT. the GTP gave a standard 3.4L V6, hood louvers, B4U, suspension package. an SE could have the 3.1 or 3.4, but no louvers. B4U was an option on the SE.

thank you aaron. I was thinking that I never see GT's on those years. Now whats the HP & torque on the '94-'96 GTP's...I want to compare it to the Cutty verts! Any help?

depends on the engine. 96 got a step up engine for the 3.4. And aaron's head is in his ass. I was looking at buying I believe a 94 GP GT. And I seen a good few sedans (so they weren't GTP's) with hood louvers. The 3.1's are the same as well from 89 till 93 and from 94 till 97. The cutty convert weighs more FYI as well.

Oh, but there was a pre-97 GT. It was a 4-door and had the DOHC and hood lourves. I think they were only made in 95 and maybe 96, but there are VERY few of them

Looks like the GT and GTP's had a slightly different suspension :? .

Yeah, Robby is right I have seen a GT with my own eyes. I just looked in my standard catalog of Pontiac and they were made in 95' and I don't know about 96' because the book doesn't go that far. They were a package available on the SE sedan which technically means they were not a model but same goes for the GTP package on a SE coupe so I guess technically we all have either LE or SE Grand Prixs if it's 94' or newer.

I saw a 92-93 or so 4 door GT the other day. It was white with the hood louvers, fan balde wheels and DOHC badges. Other than that it looked just like the SE.

No such thing. No such thing as a 2 door one either.

The 3.4 dohc stock is supposed to give out 210 hp before 96. On the 96 models they upped it to 215 hp, since it was the last year for that design.

before 96, the 3.4 had a flat 200/200 for the autos, only the 5-speeds(very rare in a GP) got the 210/215 versoin with raised compression.

Actually, I'm pretty sure these are the ratings for the engines.

**91-93 3.4 DOHC (auto) 200HP 215lbs torque

**91-93 3.4 DOHC (5sp) 210HP 215lbs torque

**94-95 3.4 DOHC (auto) 210HP 215lbs torque

**96-97 3.4 DOHC (auto) 215HP 215lbs torque

I do believe the auto was rated as the same torque as the 5 speed.

Actually, I'm pretty sure these are the ratings for the engines.

**91-93 3.4 DOHC (auto) 200HP 215lbs torque

**91-93 3.4 DOHC (5sp) 210HP 215lbs torque

**94-95 3.4 DOHC (auto) 210HP 215lbs torque

**96-97 3.4 DOHC (auto) 215HP 215lbs torque

I do believe the auto was rated as the same torque as the 5 speed.

no for below 94 it was 200 tq as well becuz the 5-speeds got 9.5:1 compression. the autos had 9.25, and that extra .25 gave us 15 tq, cuz remember how much compression directly helps tq.

true, but going by heresay, the 5-spees has 215tq and the auto only got 200. either way, 10hp and 15tq makes little difference. it was mostly the gearing that helped us runa 15.1 stock over the autos 15.5.

Wasn't the manual 15.2, and the auto 15.8?

Anyways, the compression difference is enough for me to build up my manual motor for the 5 speed swap instead of using my already freshened up auto motor.

I'll keep the auto around though, in case/when I go turbo, the lower compression may be a route i'll have to take.

yep, a few black two doors(91-93 GT's = 2dr) around here....they have the 3.1 in them as far as I know, the one I looked at did anyway and I think Shawn(the admin) said he thinks all of them had 3.1's or that all of them that he has seen had 3.1's :wink: ..if you want proof of a two door(91-93) GT, I have pictures of the shitty one I was looking at :wink: let me know and I'll email them to you, nothing special about them..the one I looked at had all options(HUD, DIC, leather, sunroof, etc..)

I've never heard of the 94/95 having more HP. However, I've never actually seen proof of the manual having more HP.

Oh, the manual definetely does have more power. It has different pistons, it's been confirmed.

I call my SE a GT ......... but just because my dads freind who own a salvage yard told me that only gt's came with the extereor pack that myine came with.....it just has facotory daul exhaust, the pastic facia, and it also has factory ground fx with with notches for the 2 ovaul tips.....

Ive only seen 1 other with the exact same styling kit as minebut that one was a 93 and it was actualy badged as a GT but it is exactly like mine just with DIC and HUD

I call my SE a GT ......... but just because my dads freind who own a salvage yard told me that only gt's came with the extereor pack that myine came with.....it just has facotory daul exhaust, the pastic facia, and it also has factory ground fx with with notches for the 2 ovaul tips.....

Ive only seen 1 other with the exact same styling kit as minebut that one was a 93 and it was actualy badged as a GT but it is exactly like mine just with DIC and HUD

the 91-93 SE's could come w/ the B4U kit and pretty much everything else, depends on the way it was ordered/optioned, most of the 91-93 cars around here that I see now are white w/ B4U and no spoiler...the GT's got the luggage rack, never seen an SE/GTP/etc. w/ a luggage rack but I guess anything is possible. :wink: