85 Grand Prix Steering Wheel Removal

Prattsta24

My fiance has a 1985 Grand Prix, He is trying to remove the steering wheel. He has tried a steering wheel puller and other techniques and it seems as if nothing is working. Any tips or Suggestions?

You'll need a ring remover for the lock plate, if you need to get into the column after removing the steering wheel (or good needlenose pliers and patience), but that's not holding the steering wheel on. Maybe try some PB Blaster and go really slow with pulling the wheel. What's happening, are the bolt holes in the wheel stripped? 

Suppose it is not approved but I usually back the nut off until no threads are visible, is just a flat surface on top. Put the steering column in tension by pushing up with my knees on the wheel, and hit the nut with a BFH. May take a few kabangs but wheel will eventually pop free.

DO NOT just hit the top of the column with the nut off or you will distort the threads.

Apologies, Primer is correct, to just remove the wheel you do not need to mess with the lock plate.

It's about as simple as can be.

Remove horn button.

Remove the dish looking piece held on with two plastic screws.

Remove the nut holding the wheel.

Remove the steering wheel with a puller.

She double posted this, went back and forth in the other post a bit and then once I directed her to a G-Body site she was gone. It's entirely likely that GP is still holding onto it's steering wheel.

Probably...not like there's that many methods to pulling a pre-airbag GM wheel. Patience and blunt instruments are the only things to be added.

• Like 1

Probably...not like there's that many methods to pulling a pre-airbag GM wheel. Patience and blunt instruments are the only things to be added.

I can relate to that...I just replaced the turn signal switch in my son's '87 El Camino on Monday...I still haven't completely recovered.  :)

To pull the turn signal harness and cruise control lever from a Reatta in a recycling center used to take me about five minutes with a big kabanger.