ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! Sub-Frame problems - again

92turboLE

Summary of my night:

i meet up with Andrina (crash_Z34) and shes like "hi" and i was like "hi" and we go to the pool hall and meet 2 more of her friends and they were like "hi" and i was like "hi" then Erik (Redfox340) shows up and hes like "dude!" and im like "dude!" and hes like "hows it goin?" and im like "good". then we shoot pool and go to a coffee shop. On the way there, i here this big "POP" noise and im like "Dude, bad!" and my cars like "Vrooooo-POP-oooom" and suddenly i had to hold the steering wheel about 45 degrees to the right and i was like "dude, not good" then we get there and i feel around and found out it was one of my rear sub-frame bolts that sheared off and i was like "fuck" and everyone else was like "fuck" so then we drank coffee and cider and left and i was like "bye" and they were like "bye" and as i was going home, the other bolt sheared off and i was like "shit!" and my car was like "Vroooo-POP-screeeeeech" so i pulled over, called a tow truck and waited.

OK, now onto the serious part. This is the second time that this has happened. Both rear subframe bolts broke/sheared off, causing the cradle to fall out and breaking off my steering shaft and one axle. I DO know that the first time this happened was cuz AAMCO over-tourqued the bolts when they did my tranny. But what would cause this to happen again??? Both rear bolts were replaced with brand new ones and torqued to proper spec.

Im thinking that when it fell the first time, the subframe may have gotten bent. ever since it was fixed the first time, it made a slight popping noise around low speed turns. If the fram was bent even slightly, would this cause this to happen again? It sounds good to me but i wanted other opinions.

at least this time i know how to fix it.

On the plus side, I had a great time with andrina and erik and andrinas friends. And yes guys, she is definately hot, but more importantly, she is awesome - kinda odd but cool none the less. Erik, your a great guy too. We should hang out again - I never got to play you in pool and i wanna whoop your ass. :lol: :lol: :lol: - not likely with the way i was playing but yeah....

anyway, any help on this would be appreciated.

- Justin

On my way home yesterday, I saw a cutlass, bout an 88, on the side of the road. As I got closer & closer I saw a big object under the car. By the time I was passing it, I realized the entire sub frame and engine had falled completely out of the car.

Justin, that's the best summary I've read in a long time!

Thanks for the morning laugh, ...seriously, that's what happen last night.

Crap! I can't believe you sheered the other one off. I'm sorry to hear that. Where were you?

On the plus side, I had a great time with andrina and erik and andrinas friends. And yes guys, she is definately hot, but more importantly, she is awesome - kinda odd but cool none the less. Erik, your a great guy too. We should hang out again - I never got to play you in pool and i wanna whoop your ass. :lol: :lol: :lol: - not likely with the way i was playing but yeah...

It was a pleasure to meet both of you in person; glad we were able to meet up!

Andrina, you're one hell of a driver and a woman. Damn, you got skill! Thanks for the night and the laughs!

Justin, you're on for another game! When everything is set on your car, we'll do it come Christmas Break.

- Erik

the bolts were replaced, but what about what the bolts thread into? They are replaceable

yes, the diamond head nuts were also replaced....

after looking a few minutes ago, th final verdict is that the bold was sheared off. I was hopeing maybe that it just unscrewed itserlf, but im not that lucky...

well, at least i have experience in replacing these. the hardest part is going to be lifting the subframe and i dont have a cherry picker right now.

anyway, erik, your turn to head down to my neck of the woods. nifty little pool hall hown here that i have hooks at if your down.

- Justin

Didn't your car get recalled for that? All of my GP's have been recalled for the subframe retaining bolts. I even got the cradle replaced on one of them because of this.

GM only recalled W-Bodies that are 1988-1991 model years...not 1992, which is what he has.

As to why, I have NO clue!! Obviously to save money...

yo justin erik, can i come next time? i can play pool and tid be cool to hang out!

You want to drive from the Springs during Christmas Break?

Alright, we'll let you know... 92TurboLE, you're on for Parker come December!

I'll let you know once the day gets closer.

- Erik

december is cool for me, i turn 18 on the 1st. drive all the way, it takes like 45min, 44 of those coming once your inside the Trex bullshit. yah that will work tho, im also gonna start planning a rcky mtn meet too.

I got a 89' gp and mine makes noise's like that too but I think it's prolly too late to get the recall.....I think the people who owned my car before didn't take care of it cause it's falling apart and it's really pissing me off....Can't afford a new one and don't want this piece of shit......but it looks soooooooooooo purdy :lol:

didnt know about the recall guys - i'll have to check into that and see if there was anything for my year.

thanks for the tourque specs!

Aaron - im down if you wanna come up

NEW PROBLEM: I cannot get the broken off bolt out og the diamond nut for either side. I have tried grinding the bolt to put a wrench on it, welding a wrench to it, welding a socket to it (the other one) and still nothing. They have been soaking in penetrating oil all night so imma see if that helped at all. Any other ideas??? No dealerships have the part. They all tell me 3-5 days min. There is one dealer in broomfeild with them but i have no transportation - maybe erik you could help me out there, or andrina. I would make it well worth your while.

- Justin

You tried welding a socket to it?

Try welding a nut to it, should work fine.

Also on another note, I wish I didn't live so far away from everything. I would love to meet up with some of you guys.

There is one dealer in broomfeild with them but i have no transportation - maybe erik you could help me out there, or andrina. I would make it well worth your while.

I'm assuming you need them ASAP, huh?

What dealership? PM me, I might be able to work something out for ya'!

- Erik

they need t an ED Bozarth. But its chill, i got a ride from my brother. thanks erik though.

No worries... here to help when I can.

Let us know when the GP is back together and running once again!

- Erik

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got her all fixed up - thanks for the help guys. Only thing im worried about is I didnt have a torque wrench that went up to 104 lbs of tourque, so i took an old ratchet and welded a 2 foot steel bar to it, then went to the weight machine, loaded it up with 210lbs to get a rough idea of how hard to pull, and pulled about 200lbs on a 2 foot bar - so i figure im somewhere near 104ft/lbs.

Happy though, the popping noise the car5 used to make is all gone so im thinking when we replaced the bolts the first time, they werent tourqued down enough and were loose, causing the subframe to shift around (hense the popping noise) and eventually sheared the bolts.

- Justin

h yeah, and i took many pics and have part numbers if anyone else is thinking of doing this or needs to. If it your car makes a popping noise from either the right or left side, i would suggest doing this. Its a l;ot easier to do when your not on a time crunch for parts that wont be in stock.

- Justin