how to tell the difference?

GPdriver1986

I'm gonna get an oil pressure sender from the scrapyard but I want to know how I can tell apart the sendor vs the switch? I'm asking this because I'm gonna unscrew out of an engine thats laying on the ground.

Look at the dash of a car if it has a oil gauge

Both OPSs are the same, it's the dash cluster that determines if the "check guages" light comes on.

But, you need to make sure you grab the same sender since different motors have different calibrations.

- Erik

Doesn't the oil light senders only have 2 wires, and the pressure sending units have 3 wires?

I'm not sure.

Anyways I recommend buying a new one, I got mine from GM for really cheap, like 10-15 bucks.

Doesn't the oil light senders only have 2 wires, and the pressure sending units have 3 wires?

I'm not sure.

Anyways I recommend buying a new one, I got mine from GM for really cheap, like 10-15 bucks.

I'm almost positive you're right about the 3 wires being the pressure sender.

I'll be sure to get an oil pressure sender from a 3.1 , but the oil pressure sender over here costs 35$ at Canadian Tire and the switch costs 8$. I think this seems expensive. and I can't check to see if the car has an oil gauge because its only the engine that is lying on the ground.