codes 43 & 55 in my buick 3.8

Tomcat25

Hey all I've been a member here about 4 years ago when I had my 90 lumina euro. But when I bought my 92 Z34 5 speed I moved over to http://www.efi-street.com which is now inactive. Some of you probably remember me as Tomcat23. I got rid of my Z, after owning it for 3 years with the thought of moving up to something I've always wanted a 98+ f-body.

Anyways for now I'm driving a 93 buick regal limited, and recently got the SES light come on occasionally. It gives codes 43 and 55, 43 for knock sensor and 55 for the ECM being faulty or the mem-cal chip in it. Did anyone had this code combo in their w-body? What should I change first? I still have the ECM from my Z that I can use in the buick, but don't want to change if not necessary, should I start with the sensor?

Thanks guys.

I would go ahead and check the knock sensor wiring and make sure it is not grounding or touching the engine block. If the wiring is fine then replace the knock sensor and clear the computer code.

Test drive your car and see if you will get the other code to come up.

Well if the Code 55 is for EGR then just remove that EGR and clean the hardened carbon deposits and all gunks in the passage ways.

Once you have cleaned it, then check the wiring between the EGR valve and the ECM.

Hey all I've been a member here about 4 years ago when I had my 90 lumina euro. But when I bought my 92 Z34 5 speed I moved over to http://www.efi-street.com which is now inactive. Some of you probably remember me as Tomcat23. I got rid of my Z, after owning it for 3 years with the thought of moving up to something I've always wanted a 98+ f-body.

Anyways for now I'm driving a 93 buick regal limited, and recently got the SES light come on occasionally. It gives codes 43 and 55, 43 for knock sensor and 55 for the ECM being faulty or the mem-cal chip in it. Did anyone had this code combo in their w-body? What should I change first? I still have the ECM from my Z that I can use in the buick, but don't want to change if not necessary, should I start with the sensor?

Thanks guys.

The ECMs between the two engines (the Z34 and the L code buick) would not be compatible. I am sure it would start and run, but it would not be right.

You don't think it's just a matter of swapping the mem-cal chip?

Where is that knock sensor located? Looks like access from under the car is not good, I found the crank sensor, and I think another wire from the same harness goes somewhere where the oil filter is, is that where the sensor is? If not it could be the oil pressuure sending unit. It's a 1993 3.8, anyone?

Where is that knock sensor located? Looks like access from under the car is not good, I found the crank sensor, and I think another wire from the same harness goes somewhere where the oil filter is, is that where the sensor is? If not it could be the oil pressuure sending unit. It's a 1993 3.8, anyone?

not all ECMs use the same pins - I mean if the pin IS used, the use is the same from ECM to ecm, but some engines use pins that are not connected on another.

the knock sensor will be down low on the block screwed into a water jacker usually

The knock sensor is on the front side of the engine between the A/C pump and the starter.

I can take a picture tomorrow if you can't find it.