Crankshaft Variation Relearn?

ron350

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor on my 96 Regal and need a Crankshaft Variation Relearn or CASE learn.

Does anyone know what the delers are charging now days for a case learn? It would be real nice to know what to expect before calling the dealership.

You might be better off calling around for quotes at independent shops(plenty should have a scan tool that will do it)Most dealers will probably charge you an hour labor so estimate from that. The actual procedure takes very little time...

Imp558 brings up a good point is there a CASE learn on a 96 W-body?

After all these years of reading about it I assumed it applies to all OBD2 GM cars. But in the links below both say lack of CASE learn can set a P1336 code.  After a long search I can’t find any mention of P1336 or CASE learn in the 96 factory service manual.

http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2070-77-0003.pdf

http://www.gmtuners.com/eprom/CASELearn.htm

i could be wrong, but I believe that procedure came along with the switch from a hardware based knock filter to a software based one(98 or so for most/all V6 stuff). I get the feeling it's learning a bit more than just crank angle sensor error, but I can't read Motorola 68000 assembly well enough to be certain.

I've done several 3800 crank sensors, also replaced engines, PCMs, calibrations and never had one throw a variance code. I may be wrong but if so I've literally run my 3800 engines since 2009 improperly.

CASE is a bigger issue on newer vehicles, we see it more with LS truck engines like the LQ9 and such, even they don't always ask for a relearn after changes. Hit or miss there...

It's needed, had to do one on my 96 3100 when i swapped to the FFP UD pulley, dealer charged an hour for it. Set a code after the swap