LQ1 MPG

Padgett

Was a bit concerned when the first 100 miles averaged 11 mpg. Then found that plug gapped waaay too tight (est. .015). Replaced and this tank mostly around town was 14.66. Was concerned until I saw the EPA estimate: 15/24. Still suspect the thermostat is thoroughly ex, at 80F took over a mile to come off fast idle. That is not good.

Is the EPA estimate what I can expect ? Heck even my Grand Cherokee does better than that.

Meanwhile new headliner is going in next week. After the $1500 estimate for seat recovering, for now am using a pair of $35 "sheepskin" covers & racer tape.

Little by little it is getting there.

Edited by Padgett

I get 15 in town, mix is anywhere between 18-21.  Mostly highway 22-24 mpg. When i did the 3800 swap with using the 3:43 DOHC trans, highway moved up to 24-26mpg but in town stayed about the same.  I recently changed to 3:29 and highway 26-28, in town is 18-20

Well just filled it and plan to drive to Lakeland (about 60 miles) and back on Saturday. Will fill again then. Generally I drive pretty gently but traffic has been horrendous lately.

According to the SPI I have a 3.67 gear. Will see where the tach sits at 70.

I always averaged 16mpg to 18mpg mixed with mine, but i was a teenager and drove the piss out of it

Edited by jake91

I've made dozens of 1850-mile trips, typically taking 30--35 hours although my best time was 28.  More recently, I'd taken to staying overnight somewhere along the route instead of driving straight through, or sleeping in the car for a few hours.

This averages to 60 mph or thereabouts, meaning that I'm typically driving 75--85.

Trip averages are reasonably consistent, about 24-25 mpg.  There is about 1 mpg difference between my two Euro 3.4 vehicles.  The '93 consistently got slightly poorer fuel economy than the '92.  We've owned the '92 much longer than the '93; and I'm convinced that fuel economy was better when the vehicle was newer.  I'd have said about 28 mpg at steady, flat-land 75-ish.

I attribute the drop in fuel economy--and the '93 being slightly worse than the '92--to DAMNED GM's terrible pistons.  The piston slap is so bad on both vehicles that it sets off the knock sensor, and then the computer retards the timing.  The '93 is a touch worse than the '92.  I suppose I could try premium fuel, but I have little confidence that the knock sensor is reacting to detonation instead of piston slap.

I've never measured in-town mileage.