Tail light question - colors reversed

Padgett

Just picked up a very nice taillight assembly (looks new - has part number tag 16601334. One problem: My lamp is red in the checkerboard and amber (turn) in the lower strip. This one is amber in the checkerboard and red in the strip. Oy.

Am curious: did Pontiac reverse the colors for different models ? Tag on lesns says "red on bottom".

2nd, Mine is good inside but the outer surface shows some delamination. How hard is it to disassemble & swap innards ? Parts book shows taillight as a collection of pieces but is only available as an assembly.

Suspect you are right. Has anyone disassembled one ? Parts manual shows it as an assembly of several parts. Suspect could swap the colored part.

The grid on the STE lights differs a bit from the coupe lights.  If you did swap parts, it still wouldn't look right.  Depending on how picky you are.

I think you can swap parts.  I've taken mine apart before.

It's been many years, but I think they were primarily held together by butyl rubber goo.  May have been a few snaps, but I seem to remember how easily they come apart depends on how dried up and deteriorated the butyl is.  Heat will make them come apart much more easily if still holding tight.  If you need some new goo, it comes in rolls of butyl tape.