Grrrrrr 91 HUD goes out!!!!!

Gearhead43

:? :? :yikes: Well guys, my 91 HUD unit I installed last year went out on me Saturday night...Total blackout! :cuss:

Anyone got any idea or have the number to the place that can restore it back to orperating condition :?: :bawl: :bawl:

If you installed it, I blame yer wiring

Well it worked fine for a Year.. I'm going double check the power and ground to the pigtail to elminate the possibily of a loose connection.

If its fine I 'd have to assume the unit needs servicing..

have you tried punching?

Yeah, that works for me most of the time

i mean hey....its broken either way, and 50 % of the time it actually works. you win either way. if you punch it and it works, great. if you do and it doesnt, then it served to release your anger

Shawn,

Well, since I have 2 switches.... I will swap em out and check for that.... If the dimmer swtich is bad.. Then it should be the white HUD signal wire not working right.. I have not had a chance to check this out yet. But I will

if that doesnt work, i know where there is an 89 in a junkyard with one that i think is still in tackt... i'll have to look again, i glanced at it, but was too focused at the task at hand *caugh*rear leather buckets*caugh*

- justin

well, it wasnt a TGP that i could tell (otherwise i would have been under the hood real quick) but i think it was an 89 SE with a hud - maybe a previous car from someone on the board??? i dont know... im pretty sure it was a HUD in an 89 although there were a lot of 89s so maybe it was newer and i thaught it was an 89 cuz i seen so many - i'll check for you this weekend when i make a return trip to try and find some leather buckets (the leather and cloth ones if anyone has a set *caugh*hint*caugh*)

- Justin

Justin,

Ok, look at the dimmer switch.. If the dimmer switch has the height adjuster on it .. then it a 91-93 HUD And that is what I need. The HUD UNIT & the dimmer swithc.... No wiring cuz I already have it.

Thanks,

will do, probly headed that way friday afternoon or saturday so i will let you know.

anyone else need anything small from the yards??? LOTS abnd i mean LOTS of w-bodys there. nothin newer then 93 though.

- Justin

already have the rear buckets in my car :twisted: :twisted: and the fronts are trashed beyond repair - thats the reason that i didnt take them.

as far as the HUD, again, i will check it out and see what i can find. Question. Where did you mount the dimmer switch??? do you have a pic. I thaught it went below and to the left of the steerintg column but i was wrong for 2 reasons.. my knee hits it and the height adjuster wont reach.

- Justin

under??? do you have any pics??? like directly under??? like bolted to the bottom of the pod, or on the lower peice under the dash??? i tried there but the contour of that peice wouldnt let ther switch sit flat.

- Justin

I dont have any clear shots of it.. but yea it sits flat under the wiper pod and trim. 2 phillips screws hold it in place. The trim piece has a special cut out for the connector to feed the wires to the dimmer switch.

hudall.jpg

You can see the dimmer location here it just slides under that bezel trimflush with the wiper pod

Awesome - ok, now i need to get a new lower molding now due to the massive hole i made in it for the cables.

thanks for the info, you really are a huge help

did you see my RED HUD mod???

- Justin