An intresting observation with my L82 throttlebody and TPS

rich_e777

So I was tinkering around the Cutlass the other day, letting the engine idle for a bit while I was still working at the back. Well like most I cannot help but to push on the TB a bit and listen to the revs and noticed as the TB closed one could move the cable connection piece forward just a little more, maybe 1-2mm and would make the car nearly stumble and die. I assume this extra bit of movement or looseness was being picked up by the TPS causing the idling issues.

I know several people have mentioned stalling and rough idling issues in the past and just bringing this observation up in the case it may be some ones throttle body getting loose and causing their rides to run rough for a bit or stall out.

Would anyone happen to know if the TBs are they adjustable or they pretty much done once this starts to happen?

Sounds like he's saying the throttle cable has some slack which may be causing stalls/rough riding in certain situations people have had without A viable mechanical or electrical failure

Not quite sure if you're suggesting worn throttle shaft bushings or the throttle cable is keeping the throttle cam off the stop......

Must be the bushing then. When I noticed the issue I thought about those couple of threads people had posted about abnormal idle and stalling issues and thought I found that one thing that slipped someones mind. So maybe a new TB or a rebuild kit could fix this sort of problem after all else has failed. IIRC there are some kits to rebuild these things as someone mentioned them when discussing 3100/34oo TB swaps.

Sounds like he's saying the throttle cable has some slack which may be causing stalls/rough riding in certain situations people have had without A viable mechanical or electrical failure

Despite the language barrier I`m glad the point didn't get lost in translation. The easiest way I could think to explain it was if one could make the TB "more closed" even though the TB butterfly can only go so far. Its as if the TPS pics up on this slight extra bit of travel and sends the numbers through the PCM accordingly and the stumbling stalling is the outcome of a perfectly functioning system.

Well before you condemn the throttlebody, check to see if the throttle plate is completely closed, the IAC controls all aspects of the idle characteristics, if the plate is slightly open adjust the stop so the plate is completely closed *but doesn't stick* in the bore. There should be enough slack in the throttle cable & the cruise to allow the plate to completely close without you having to force the cam lever.