Head Gaskets

RebelGT

That I know of no one is making copper headgaskets, it just a very expensive custom job. I am having the block o-ringed. I hear having the heads done is more expensive and better, but I honestly don't see how. If someone could explain that that'd be cool. My machine shop charges $20 a hole to o-ring. So $120 for a V-6 aint bad. 8) Depending on what kind of boost you plan on running, one or the other should be okay, but if you plan on moderate c/r and high boost, or low c/r and very high boost 20+ you should get them both done to keep your pieces together. :lol:

• 4 months later...
Guest TurboSedan
Anyone want to chime in on why it's better to ring the heads instead of the block? Also, how much do the copper gaskets from the link run ya?

is it really worth it to run copper head gaskets on a *stock* 3.1 turbo? should i be ok running the Fel-pro 9471PT head gaskets and new head bolts? the Turbo Dodge guys seem to hate Fel-pro with a passion. any advice certainly appreciated; i will be buying new head gaskets very soon.

thanks

joshua

Anyone want to chime in on why it's better to ring the heads instead of the block? Also, how much do the copper gaskets from the link run ya?

is it really worth it to run copper head gaskets on a *stock* 3.1 turbo? should i be ok running the Fel-pro 9471PT head gaskets and new head bolts? the Turbo Dodge guys seem to hate Fel-pro with a passion. any advice certainly appreciated; i will be buying new head gaskets very soon.

thanks

joshua

I dont think copper head gaskets are needed on a stock vin "V" Ive also heard bad stuff about the Felpro head gaskets, even for the vin "T". Go with GM head gaskets

Guest TurboSedan

I dont think copper head gaskets are needed on a stock vin "V" Ive also heard bad stuff about the Felpro head gaskets, even for the vin "T". Go with GM head gaskets

yeah i think i'd be more comfortable with GM head gaskets. i will be using Mopar head gaskets on my T2. would you happen to have the part # for GM TGP head gaskets?

joshua

yeah i think i'd be more comfortable with GM head gaskets. i will be using Mopar head gaskets on my T2. would you happen to have the part # for GM TGP head gaskets?

joshua

No, I dont have it. I tried looking on GMPD but they dont give a # specific to TGP, just a # for n/a.

No, you shouldn't need copper if you are staying pretty much stock. Sunshine is still on stock gaskets w/ 16+ psi (manifold) a few times (whoops) and (this takes all) #1 cylinder has a head bolt missing. :shock: All this w/ ~160K on the ticker.

Guest TurboSedan

thanks, i am going to keep things completely stock for now. right now i just want to keep everything as simple/inexpensive as possible and get to know the TGP engine better. mods will come later tho :)

thanks again, i'm gonna try to pull the heads off tomarrow if i have enough time before work.

joshua