Thinking of building DIY Cold AIR Intake, Has Anyone else and what Materials

Daermos

Ok so not sure if i am putting this in the Right place.

I am looking to build a CAI for my gtp, I have built a few for other cars that i have had.

I used 3" and 4" exhaust pipe with adapters from local auto store. I am wondering if this will work for my gtp, i plan to put the filter into my fender well. I am not sure though if i use the steel pipe will to work decently? I am uncertin of how fast the 3800 supercharged pulls air in and or if i need to use heat shielding material?

I am sure there are other how brew CAI and would like thought or opinions on my idea

Thanks Much!

I had a really good thread on my DIY CAI but can't seem to find it. Maybe it got lost when the new site came online.

I used an OBX 45 degree pipe from Ebay, fabricated the box from sheet metal I had laying around and a filter for a 2004ish chevrolet truck.

The last pic was in that folder and just too cool not to share.....

post-3252-0-06023800-1456195430_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-39158100-1456195475_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-50276400-1456195534_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-11944100-1456195577_thumb.jpg

post-3252-0-99782900-1456195522_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the information Imp558 so if i fab my own using 3" it should fairly decent? Lol love that last pic! I am going to get some parts togeather and will post before and afters, My design will completly remove the flex pipe going from throttle body to airbox.

Your CAI is looks great i would almost think it was factory, how long did it take to fab the box with the fender well and did you use foam style tape as a seal?

I didn't make a seal, it didn't seem necessary. To fab the box and lock ring was about an hour and a half. The tube is 3 1/2" and I had to put 5 - 1/4" cuts in the end and tap it in a bit to reduce the diameter to about 3 1/4" right at the end to get a filter started. Surface area is about 3X the stock filter size.

Ah very cool, yeah mine will pry be a bit more. looking to run straight to fender well then bend it down so actual filter will be in the wheel well, if i can get the parts that i want

I am assuming metal would be better than abs? 

Ok so i did some reading online and alot of people recommend that you use the Black ABS Pipeing, from what i have read it does not release gasses and seems to keep the air upto  10 degrees cooler.

Has anyone else heard This?