People who don't own a W-Body make me feel uncomfortable!!!

89-W-Body-Regal

I own an 89' Buick Regal Custom Coupe. Sister cars of the Oldsmobile cutlass supreme and the Pontiac Grand Prix. Sometimes people who never owned one has to talk shit about my car. I love my car and own the car since my grand pa bought the car in 1989. Who family and relatives loved the car when it came out. I want to restore it so it can live on for generations to come. I was just wondering since we're all W Body guys here and you love all W Bodys like me.... Have you guys ever had any problems with people offending you for owning one? I don't care what they think because we gotta like the car not them. But I was just wondering what you guys experiences were. Are some of you still the original owners?

That's what the car looked like when it came off the showroom.

post-9541-0-77115600-1449446392_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Strongly agree,

oh wait. Been doing surveys.

Now after I read after the title, not until I got on at AutoZone have I ever gotten any remarks about my car. Not sure where the joke got started but they were calling my Cutlass a Chevy Beretta for awhile, but also have a few G-body Cutlass owners who out number just about every other fanboys in the 2 stores I work at.

My folks owned a white Intl Cutlass sedan way back in the day, I remember the multi-flag emblem on it and it had the same name as a fighter jet. White with a maroon or burgundy interior. Had a 2.8 or a 3.1 and my dad ran it into the ground sometime after they split, not sure what happened to it. I`m not the original or even the second owner of my Cutlass Supreme but I guarantee I`ll be the last, not entirely by choice either its just that no one else would but it even if I wanted to sell it.

Have you guys ever had any problems with people offending you for owning one?

Not that I feel offended, but I get "picked on" constantly for it.

I get criticism for owning a GM vehicle, after sending many of the graveyard; for owning the "same car" I used to have: in which I had spent the price of purchase back into repairs, and blew up 3 years ago.

I do get that I will spend more money in maintenance, repairs, and gas, than I did in my Honda Civic, but you know what? I'm driving what I want to drive.

We all like our w-bodies for various reasons, but I certainly can't blame the majority for not giving a crap about them, or for not understanding why we do. The fit, finish, materials and overall build quality is poor, they feature unremarkable motors and transmissions and they were mass-produced throw away cars. I'm sure even GM themselves are shocked that there's a following for most of their run of the mill cars that were definitely not meant to be revered and passed on generation to generation.

In other words, like what you like, and don't worry about how others feel. But at the same time, that means you can't be upset or offended by their inability to understand why you like what you like.

I get complimented occasionally,and every now and then I get challenged in traffic and open it up. Every once in a while people give it a smirk but it's rare anybody come out and bash my car.

Thanks guys. You're right it doesn't matter. If you love the car you'll keep it forever or how long you want it. I just gotta learn to ignore those ignorant people.

I also did get compliments on my car before. It's my money and if want to restore it or do what I want with it that's my choice. No one else's. I know these cars were under powered. But they are smooth on the road and great cars that can haul ass. I have low mileage on mine and have been doing a lot of work on it. Thanks for sharing you're stories with me.

I got compliments all the time on my cutlass that had very little done to it (wheels and blacked out lights), yet my GTP with a lot done rarely gets a glance. There are a few occasions when I get something like "wow, I haven't seen one of those in forever, let alone one modded/in nice shape". It's enough to make you feel good for the work you've put in. Besides, I'm more for subtle than flashy, with some nice details to make it pop.

For what it's worth, I miss my rusty sedan that I got for free as much as my cutlass .

I can care less if anyone hates my car. I've just heard Buick will eventually stop to making their cars here and China will take over and make them for us. That's why I plan to restore mine and keep it on the road for many generations to come. Don't beat up these cars anymore because in the future you're gonna wish you still had them. Just drive them and keep maintaining them. Back then nobody knew cars would look like they do now. That's why they killed these cars and drove them to the ground. They are the last best thing GM will ever have because it's when they weren't lazy and knew how to make good parts. If anyone disagree's with me I'll just tell them to go buy China Buick's because eventually most of America's cars will be shipped here from China.

My Cutlass Supreme Convertible gets complements and polite giggles because of it's age. But I have the last laugh because when I go to get my licence renewal, I don't have to get it E tested because its over 21 years old.  

Any commentary is worth nothing more than the person making the comment. I get a lot of flack from people but I see what they drive and they drive imports. So their opinion is null.