Pissed off at my DIC

SmokesGTP

Ok I'm starting to get pissed off at my DIC :lol: . I reset the average gas mileage after it being on for like 1000 miles and I drove for maybe 10 miles and pulled into my driveway. Now anyone who has one knows the instant MPG reads zero when your not moving because your obviously not going anywhere, however after I pulled in my average MPG read 18.4MPG and as I sat in my driveway it slowly ticked down by .1 increments as I sat there which leads me to believe it is somehow averaging in that zero from the instant yet if i'm not going anywhere how can that be? It normally reads my mileage as 15.4 MPG but I think I'm getting better mileage than that because after 1000 miles it takes a lot to get it to lower or raise. Any ideas?

Brian, does your intake manifold read "3.2..."?????

- Justin

Your not the only one asking that question. What the hell is up with that?

I thought I was a noob, and though, maybe there is such a thing, but others have asked too, so i dunno

John

The reason it takes so long to change after so many miles is because it is still factoring in your past 1000 miles of economy.. if you hvae shitty economy, its gonna take a hell of a lot of good constant economy to make it rise.

All I know is the setup of those things is a little fucked. I know I'm using some gas sitting in my driveway for 30 seconds but not nearly as much as I used driving that 10 miles. It's hard to explain what I mean. Plus the fact that I have no idea where the numbers come from. what relies on what and so forth. I asked this before like a year ago and no one really knew.

The reason it takes so long to change after so many miles is because it is still factoring in your past 1000 miles of economy.. if you hvae shitty economy, its gonna take a hell of a lot of good constant economy to make it rise.

Yeah I understand this, in my first post I said I RESET it. But I fucked up some of the wording due to being very tired so I'm the fool. I fixed it now it should make more sense.

he's not talking about the average economy you fools. READ. He is looking at the Instant MPG and it is showing AVG MPG.

Wake up on the wrong side of bed?

however after I pulled in my average MPG read 18.4MPG and as I sat in my driveway it slowly ticked down by .1 increments as I sat there which leads me to believe it is somehow averaging in that zero from the instant yet if i'm not going anywhere how can that be? It normally reads my mileage as 15.4 MPG but I think I'm getting better mileage than that because after 1000 miles it takes a lot to get it to lower or raise. Any ideas?

From the wording if I read it right yet.. yes, the average will go down by .1 as you sit. It will factor in the INSTANT ZERO you see... thus bringing the AVG. down. The engine is still running and using gas.

And the reason it takes so long after your 1,000 miles to change is because it is factoring in the past 1,000 miles... more numbers mean less change.

Sorry if I still am not on the same beat you are. I'm a little confused.

See it shouldn't keep factoring that zero. You use next to no gas idling for 30 seconds. I have seen my grandmas chrysler and she has one of these things and the instant MPG reads 0 yet it doesn't factor it into her average mileage. That is how it should work. If your sitting in a driveway for thirty seconds how can that affect your average MPG more than a 10 mile trip? It doesn't make sense.

See it shouldn't keep factoring that zero. You use next to no gas idling for 30 seconds. I have seen my grandmas chrysler and she has one of these things and the instant MPG reads 0 yet it doesn't factor it into her average mileage. That is how it should work. If your sitting in a driveway for thirty seconds how can that affect your average MPG more than a 10 mile trip? It doesn't make sense.

Eh it may not make sense.. but that is what it is gonna continue to do.