ac clutch gap

augusta

I have a 1999 olds intrigue with series 2 3800 in which I think the ac clutch gap is too tight cuz it scrapes the the pulley when ac is off.  Can anyone help me out the the adjustment procedure?  I have a clutch removal tool that I bought for my 1990 Buick century 3300  but not sure if it will work on this compressor.  Can anyone tell me what model of compressor I have?  TIA.

The compressor is a V5,

can you not get a .025" (thou) feeler gauge between the clutch rotor (pulley) & the hub driver?

After removing the retaining nut the hub assembly is pulled off with the *tool*, and it is installed with the same reversible tool, one presses the hub on with the tool and sets the clearance while using the feeler gauge and then tightens the retaining nut.

I have a 1999 olds intrigue with series 2 3800 in which I think the ac clutch gap is too tight cuz it scrapes the the pulley when ac is off.

Unless someone has dicked with the clutch gap, consider leaving it alone unless it's scraping fairly firmly.  I have trouble understanding how the gap would tighten-up in use.

The usual problem is that the clutch gap widens as it wears, then the clutch doesn't engage reliably.

The clutch gap decreases on every GM compressor I have owned.

On the V5 install the removal tool and pull out on the clutch plate till you have about .030 gap.

You don’t have to touch the clutch plate nut.