Ac help

W30olds

Hey guys,

I've found my AC compressor is leaking on my 95 GP SE. I've ordered a new compressor, accumulator and orifice tube and will be replacing these as well. Question is about the condensor. Should I flush it out or replace it? I've read with the newer style condensers that flushing does not work due to the tiny tubes in them and some say just to change it as well. So wanted to ask to see if anyone here has had to replace their compressor and did you change the condenser as well or were you able to flush it clean?

Thanks!

Andy

Welcome aboard.

If the compressor is leaking (not seized), then the condenser is probably fine without either. The tiny tubes you speak of assume a plate stack type of condenser, rather than the tube and fin type (the kind that comes in our cars stock). There is a plate stack type available in the aftermarket. If you are adamant on doing something to the condenser then I would just replace it, but again, I doubt it is needed. The problem is usually when the compressor seizes, it sends some fun fine metal shards out of it, which end up plugging the next item in the circuit, the condenser. To be absolutely sure on which you should do, I would look at your orifice tube. If the screen is completely coated with fine metal particles, replace condenser, otherwise, leave it be. That is what I did when I replaced my compressor.

On that note, I have since learned that those compressors are highly serviceable. Front seal, body seals, and the adapting element seals can all leak, but can all be repaired. Not something to be done by a newbie, but just something to think about.

Also, don't forget that you need to put a vacuum on the system immediately after installing the dryer/accumulator for the best longevity.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply! I do commercial HVAC for a living myself, but haven't really serviced many automotive ACs, but the theory is the same. The compressor will still run fine with refrigerant. It's not seized or knocking, so hopefully the systems pretty clean. The AC shut off on low pressure. I recharged it, but the leak must be pretty bad. Tried the color dyes. Couldn't find anything. Finally used my electronic leak detector and found the compressor leaking. I thought about replacing the seals but don'the want to invest in the tools to do it.

I also was curious if the condensers on these cars were the tube/fin style or the other style with the small tiny stacked tubes. Thanks for letting me know!

Thanks again for the info!

Thanks for the reply! I do commercial HVAC for a living myself, but haven't really serviced many automotive ACs, but the theory is the same. The compressor will still run fine with refrigerant. It's not seized or knocking, so hopefully the systems pretty clean. The AC shut off on low pressure. I recharged it, but the leak must be pretty bad. Tried the color dyes. Couldn't find anything. Finally used my electronic leak detector and found the compressor leaking. I thought about replacing the seals but don'the want to invest in the tools to do it.

I also was curious if the condensers on these cars were the tube/fin style or the other style with the small tiny stacked tubes. Thanks for letting me know!

Thanks again for the info!

The tools are available at all the chain parts stores to loan for free.  The seal kits for most compressors are around $15.

Thanks for your input Heartbeat1991. Have you ever done this on a compressor? Replaced all the seals? If so what did you need to do? I'm pretty darn good at fixing most items. I mean if I get into the compressor and the major parts are junk then I've got a new one in the box in my garage. Might try replacing the seals if it's not that involved.

All finished with the hvac repairs. Turned out great. No metal shaving in the system which was amazing and made the job much smoother. Still a big repair, but now the defrost works again and the AC is ice cold. Thanks for the info guys. FYI Auto Zone rents the gauges and vaccum pump which kept the cost way down. I put $250 into the repairs total. Pretty dang happy now

• Like 1