bos3kd

Greetings all! I have recently purchased a 1998 Lumina LTZ, and so far am very pleased with it. I am curious if you all could give me some insight as to what I can expect out of this car, in terms of performance, reliability, potential problems etc.

Specific items I have a question about is the fuel guage and the tires. I have notice that my fuel guage drops quickly until about a quarter tank, is this typical of these cars? I also have a lot of tire noise, is this typical?

Other than that, so far so good. I like the sight and look foward to joining this online forum.

~bos3kd

Yes! Road noise is rampant at highway speeds in my Prix, and a full tank of gas will cause the gauge to read full until I have about 5 gallons left and then it goes down real fast. I find this very annoying.

Specific items I have a question about is the fuel guage and the tires. I have notice that my fuel guage drops quickly until about a quarter tank, is this typical of these cars?

My fuel gauge acts weird too, but my problem is the opposite. It drops slowly until it reads half full, then it drops like a brick. :confused:

The 3800 is very reliable. You'll be happy with it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think the '98 LTZs got the 3800. Something tells me it was the 3.4, but l don't know for sure.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think the '98 LTZs got the 3800. Something tells me it was the 3.4, but l don't know for sure.

No, 1998 was the first year for the 3800 in the lumina's and MC's.

Thank you all very much for the responses!!! I must say I've been quite shocked by the quantity, much different than prevous forums I've read. Btw, it is the 3800 that's in the LTZ, 200 hp and 220 ft-lb. Thanks again!!

~bos3kd

Hey! Another 3800. Alright. LTZ's are sweet, congrats.

Performance - not too shabby, not the top dog.

Fuel Economy - shitty in town, damn good on the highway.

Fuel guage - damn...I thought mine was fucked up...most of you guys have much worse guages than I do. Mine goes normal until 1/4 tank, but after that I wouldn't trust it for more than about 25 miles.

Owning a 3800 = cool. :D

Mine's rated higher :twisted:

They didn't have the 200hp version in '96, only the 205. :wink:

Welcome to the board. It's good to have you. I was wondering why we didn't have any LTZ drivers.

My fuel gauge acts weird too, but my problem is the opposite. It drops slowly until it reads half full, then it drops like a brick. :confused:

this is actualy normal behavior for it. my 91 an 89 did that. but my 96 actually reads gas level accuratley and drops the same level the whole way through. it even hangs on F for about 2 gallons worth of time...if that makes any sense

My fuel gauge acts weird too, but my problem is the opposite. It drops slowly until it reads half full, then it drops like a brick. :confused: <----quote from TeeJay3800

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I liked the way you explained your guage! Mine drops like a brick from 3/4 to 1/2 tank.

Welcome to the board LTZ owner! Don't those have the dual exhaust??

Road Noise what road noise my cutlass doesn't have any road noise on the highway even with a full tank of gas and my gas gauge is accurate but the odometer and trip odometer are fucked up :confused:

Greetings all! I have recently purchased a 1998 Lumina LTZ, and so far am very pleased with it. I am curious if you all could give me some insight as to what I can expect out of this car, in terms of performance, reliability, potential problems etc.

Specific items I have a question about is the fuel guage and the tires. I have notice that my fuel guage drops quickly until about a quarter tank, is this typical of these cars? I also have a lot of tire noise, is this typical?

Other than that, so far so good. I like the sight and look foward to joining this online forum.

~bos3kd

Welcome to the board!!

the fuel gage probably you speak of in that bodystyle is a new one to me. Mine seems to be right on most of the time.

The road noise is soly based on the type of tires you have. lugy tires = lots of roadnoise. Tires with a solid strip threw the tread will tend to be much quieter.

there is lots of opetions with your motor. it all depends on how far you wanna go. an m90supercharger would be nice :D

take car of that motor and it will treat you well. afterall look at the early 90s 3.8s that are still around

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure about the other W's but in the early 90's I worked at a pontiac dealership and we did have complaints about wind noise with the grand prix. The problem seems to have been the outside mirrors if I remember correctly. :shock: