Cutlass Supreme Security reset

rich_e777

Well my Cutlass is stuck with the security light flashing, no amount of jiggling or trying to jump the starter will let the engine fire up. Do the early Ws have the same reset procedure like some of the later GM cars have, turn key to on for 10 minutes turn off cycle 3 times?

I was halfway home before I remembered and its a long walk back to the car, ironically I was on my way to work to buy a new ignition cylinder and talk with a locksmith about the keys. I still might call the locksmith but this was the first stop to ask about the reset.

Tried a few reset procedures I found but nothing changed, the light never stops flashing even after 15 minutes. Jumping the starter terminals the engine fires up but doesn't stay running.

Shes good now, I got a guy to come check it out and he bypassed it for me, showed me how to do it and talked me through the process. I could have easily done it but without the experience I didn't want to get into something I couldn't complete before tomorrow morning. He came out for $20 took one look laughed and said give me another $20 and a Mt. Dew from that cooler over there and a little later she fired right up.

alternatively, if you get ahead of this early enough, fail-enable mode is free, easy and only has the downside of the security light being on whenever the key is set to run.

you'll still have to deal with the possibility of the starter disable relay flaking out or the PK2 module not sending the 50Hz fuel-enable signal to the PCM, but the lock cylinders being the problem seems to be far more common.

alternatively, if you get ahead of this early enough, fail-enable mode is free, easy and only has the downside of the security light being on whenever the key is set to run.

you'll still have to deal with the possibility of the starter disable relay flaking out or the PK2 module not sending the 50Hz fuel-enable signal to the PCM, but the lock cylinders being the problem seems to be far more common.

It had run in that mode for a few days then, IIRC that mode is when the Security light is on and steady during operation? It had been doing that intermittently for a few weeks before just being on all the time. I had mentioned it to a commercial customer that builds up 3800s and he said just get some powder graphite to clean it out and it worked for awhile. I still may change out the cylinder and ignition switch in the future if it develops issues. Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't know you made something for that, I`d have bought one from you. I remember you telling me about the resistors from RadioShak years ago and had it in my head that was the best way to fix it.

having it default into fail-enable vs forcing into that mode is different.... if you don't unplug the lock cylinder circuit(forcing), then there is the chance for the contacts to try and read they key, which can cause problems if the key resistor is out of spec or there is a weak connection along the way, both of which will throw the PK2 module into protection mode, which should both disable the starter and prevent injector operation. sounds like that is what happened with your car.

This connection would be the two wire orange and white color circuit? Now that the resistors are permanently soldered in the correct resistance will be seen by the pk2 module allowing the car to start right? Well as long as the correct key is used, the guy did mention this vulnerability but the car is cleverly designed as a beat up, POS and Ive never really had any theft problems, especially rocking a factory tape deck.

yes, the orange sleeve around a pair of tiny wires is what runs up to the key cylinder.

with resistors in place, the PK2 module will think a legit key is always being used, so as long as it is cut correctly, it should work. you'll only have to be aware of the starter disable relay potentially failing and if the PK2 module's fuel-enable circuit were to get damaged, those are the only two points of failure now.

This connection would be the two wire orange and white color circuit? Now that the resistors are permanently soldered in the correct resistance will be seen by the pk2 module allowing the car to start right? Well as long as the correct key is used, the guy did mention this vulnerability but the car is cleverly designed as a beat up, POS and Ive never really had any theft problems, especially rocking a factory tape deck.

Like the Chameleon XLE? http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/chameleon/2859849