Looking at Buying a W-body. Have some Questions

Dan94Z34

I am looking at buying a 94 Lumina z34. The car has 81,000 miles on it, and they want $5000 for it. I am going to be trading off my beretta which is a pile. having major engine problems(spark plugs flying out of the read head), and it has 190,000 miles on it.

Are there any problems I should watch out for on these cars. The car is very clean. It was a local trade, and I talked to the guy that owned it before I did. He said the car car never gave him any problems, and that he got rid of it to buy a truck to pull his camper. THanks for your opinions.

Ask how recently the timing belt, intake gaskets, and alternator have been replaced. These are the common problem areas for the 3.4. If it's an automatic, be sure to check the trans fluid and take a good test drive to make sure it shifts well, it's a lot of engine for the trans. Check for oil leaks, especially the oil pump dist. drive, since you have a 60* in your beretta you might know what I'm talking about. If it's leaking and you want to fix it right you have to pull the rear head. Other than that it's a W, fairly reliable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 94 was the first year for the good rear brakes, so you should be set there.

Justin, you are correct on all!

Dan94Z34 get a complete look over it; don't assume anything and test out everything.

Plus the price seems a little steep unless it's absolutly immaculate.

If it's the car you want after doing your homework, play hardball.

I'm willing to bet if you flash no more than $4K cash, you'll have yourself a car.

Best of luck and let us know how things turn out!

- Erik

Alright, thanks guys :D I will contact the previous owner again and ask him if he ever replaced the timing belt and altenator. I will be test driving it tomorrow. Ill remember to play hardball :)

Basic Maintaince. Check for that. That is what was causing my Z to run like crap when I got it. Needed new plugs, wires. Vacuum leaks are also another thing to look out for. Oil arround the Map sensor also.

I picked up the Z34 today for 4K. Runs excellent and timing belt was replaced at 72,000 and alternator at 79,000.

Haha! See? You can pick up cars for under list price anyday! Nice snag! Enjoy it!

Suggestion: go home and change out all the fluids and spark plugs to bring yourself to a baseline maintenance record.

- Erik

I picked up the Z34 today for 4K. Runs excellent and timing belt was replaced at 72,000 and alternator at 79,000.

Haha! See? You can pick up cars for under list price anyday! Nice snag! Enjoy it!

Suggestion: go home and change out all the fluids and spark plugs to bring yourself to a baseline maintenance record.

- Erik

And take some pictures :)