Strange noises....

Green96GTPchick

Yesterday I noticed a strange high pitched whirrrrring noise coming from the right side of my car. It doesn't come on all the time and its not on for long. I have only heard it while standing outside my car while its running. Do any of you guys have any wild guesses as to what it could be? I didnt hear the noise before my accident. It almost sounds like a pump of some kind not working correctly.

Jackie

whirring = usually a bearing of some kind, possibly a driven accessory..alternator maybe, I've had some start dying and make a supercharger type whine and others make a very loud whirring noise before dying/locking up....if it is the alternator, it's not a fun job on a 3.4 dohc

EDIT: have your lights been dimmer than usual lately at night or has the voltage gauge been fluxiating any? :?:

mfewtrail is correct in saying that is could be a pulley-related issue.

But with it going on and off leads me to believe it could be the Air Conditioner compressor.

Have you been running the defrost on your car lately?

Otherwise, do check the levels on your power steering, radiator (possible worn water pump), and the like.

Listen in and see where exactly is coming from; the more detail the better!

- Erik

I think we narrowed it down to the Tensioner pulley. As soon as I get my front end all squared away, I'm gonna start replacing parts, t-belt and then replace the pulley.

Jackie