Hood release cable

grandprix104

How hard is it to replace the entire hood release cable? I think i traced it through the engine compartment winding over/around the tranny... Just wondering cause the latch on the inside broke.

Mine did that too and the cable slipped out. You don't have to replace the whole thing. Just go to the front of your car, feed the wire back in to the cable housing until it sticks out in the cab of the car, and attach a small pair of vice grips to it. I say a small pair because it's a bit more discreet. Nobody's ever noticed mine! :D

LOL! Is your name Jerry? I ask because I've never had the opportunity of meeting the man who started the term "Jerry Rigged" LOL!

I hate "fix's" like this but then again I'm a perfectionist. Why not just get a new one or one of those replacement inner cables [i think NAPA calls them HELP items] you route in the existing cable housing then cut to fit and crimp one end [one end has the fixed end] with the included parts? You could also go get a used assembly and replace the whole works for about $5.00 + the labor.

Just my opinion but then again when I replace an exhaust hanger, it's factory or applicable aftermarket, not an old clothes hanger :)

Just my opinion but then again when I replace an exhaust hanger, it's factory or applicable aftermarket, not an old clothes hanger :)

LOL I used to drive a 1984 Buick Lesabre and one day, the muffler hanger just fell off the car, leaving my muffler dragging on the ground behind me. I pulled over and tied it back up with my leather belt I happened to be wearing. It worked for the 3 days I needed until I could come up w/ the cash for the muffler shop to properly fix it.

And what's wrong with my hood release? LOL

Yeah, in an emergency I can understand these methods.

I think I know you, I remember asking a guy driving a Buick LeSabre if he had a pair of vise grips I could borrow and his pants fell down! :)

Sounds like something my wife asked me last December 26th.

She said, honey, how does the car know it's after Christmas? I said, what do you mean? She said, well for the last month all those pretty little Christmas lights on the dash were on now today they went off!

LMAO, that's funny. Heh, I actually laughed out loud. Anyway, back to the original question:

How hard is it to replace the entire hood release cable?

It's not. Just pull the cable out of the housing from the front of the car and feed the new cable in. Oldslover is correct about them (cables and such) being called HELP! items, as they are called just that at my local Advance Auto.

well i sorta fixed it (probably wont last long) i used what is called a "cable stop" on the end of the bit of cable remaining by the latch and srtung the cable through a hole in the latch arm using the cable stop to keep it from sliding back through. Unfortunately the cable stop is barely holding the end of the cable so i guess ill have to order that cable repair kit from motormite's HELP line. (we sell that stuff at checker too :) ) hopefully that will end the problems.

Good news for this week - I get to drive my mom's '00 regal while shes in new hampshire. YEAH!! I love the 3800 :) so much more power than the 3.1