Recomendation from Turbonetics...What do you think?

Jon89le

Well i just got off the phone with them to ask what kind of turbo to run on my car and they were extremely helpful. I said i wanted to make around 450hp at the wheels, it would be a daily driven car, and that id spend most of my time around 2-3000 rpm and that the max engine speed was 6500. After BSing a little with the guy, this is what he came up with:

62-1 Turbo compressor wheel

O-trim exhaust wheel

.68 A/R

External wastegate

Plus the other bs things (BOV, custom intercooler, etc)

So what do you think? The guy said at around 20 lbs of boost the turbo would put out about 600hp. He also mentioned that it would start spooling up around 3000rpm which is right around where im at during highway driving. Id like anyone who has any knowledge on this to speak up. This is all knew to me so share any light :D

Thats way too much turbo. You will need ALOT to get it to even spool. Cruising speed has little to do with it. It would take a long time to get to 75mph. And you would be cutting your effective powerband (3000 to 6200, vs 1100-5500), and when it did spool it would probably break the transmission right out of the car. I've worked on 450-600hp GN's and THEY will break things easily at that point. It'll probably take you 330ft to even start spooling off the line. 6500 rpm red line is a little optomistic for a 3.1 as well.

That turbo actually isn't that far off from what I currently use. It takes a lot to work up a 3.1 to the level where you are going to be able to use that size turbo. Mine boosts around 2700-2800, but I also redline at 8000 rpm, so that's a little different.

Stuff breaks all the time. The engine itself has been completely reliable for the almost the last 2 years, but everything else is suspect. I've blown 1 differential, broken the mounting bosses off the tranny, broken a custom axle, and who knows what else in the future will happen when I finally raise the boost past 12 psi.

How are you able to rev to 8000? Something you did to the crank and rods? It seems that the things you broke werent directly boost related which i guess is a good thing since it seems the motor is handling what you did. Im more worried about finding a way to make everything work since that i can do from reading on my own here and seeing what others have done. The things breaking will have to be a trial and error thing.

Curtis has (on last check) iron heads, solid roller cam, small block chevy rods. So he is a little ways away from a TGP motor.

And those things are quite so boost related. With 3.1L of displacment it is the boost making the power. And that power is breaking things. He might only be at 12 psi but a 62-1 wheel can flow a lot of air (remember think lbs/min not PSI)

I think that with the turbo you are looking at it won't be much fun for a while. Why not work up in turbo size?

I am starting to see what you guys are talking about. Kinda like a 100lb little guy on steriods lifting 600lbs, he'll eventually start breaking some bones :lol:, whereas if it was a 400lb guy lifting 600lbs not as much would break. I know its a stretch but i think thats pretty much the same thing your talking about. So would it be better to then choose a motor with a bigger displacement like a 3400 or 3800na maybe since they would make the same power with less boost, so to speak?

Good analogy with the weights.

EH, not really with the engines though. Either way you are making the same horsepower. The .3L isn't going to make a huge difference when you get to 600hp. And the engine (at least block and crank) can handle the power. Its not cracking the block etc.

The thing is its going to take alot to jump in and get a 62-1 turbo to work at all really. Thats a big jump and you will find that alot has to be done to get it working. Tuning injectors fuel exhaust. If it even fits without relocating alot of stuff. Thats probably a To4E housing, which is about 7.5 inches across not including the outlet. So its unlikely to fit in a TGP location. Especially if you don't have alot of experience with turbos.