Subs in winter

Nick1234

I live in Wisconsin and it is starting to become pretty cold outside and i have a set of subwoofers in my trunk. I remember hearing somewhere that you shouldn't use them in winter, is that true? Will it hurt anything if i use them when its cold? Thanks

Someone told me once that a good general rule when it's cold (below freezing), is not to play them at extreme levels right away when you get in the car. Play them quietly for a few minutes (read: 5-maybe 10), then it's safe to gradually increase the volume.

Nick-- i have a system too, have had it for 2 years, wen its bellow freezing out i like to let the car warm up first, then gradually inclease the volume on the system, so Luke does make sence.

is any of this true based on fact though? can anyone 100% confirm this. not just with experience but with facts?i have never heard of this in my life.

I pounded my Kicker L7s when they were cold the past two winters and never had any issues :?

I've got Eclipse all around in my car, and there is no way in hell I'd ever turn 'em up loud or pump any bass thru them until they are warmed up. Just the godawful sound that comes from them when they're cold makes me cringe.. almost like they're begging not to be cranked.

Just the godawful sound that comes from them when they're cold makes me cringe.. almost like they're begging not to be cranked.

mine always sounded good :shrug:

The sound quality is there, it is just if I try push any bass thru anything, it sounds like something is pounding on a tin can.. just doesn't sound like it is doing anything good to it.

if you read the instructions/specifications of your subs, they'll tell you the coldest temperature it's safe to max them at... generally, I run mine at a decently low volume for 10 - 15 mins before I start turning it up... and if I have no passengers in the back seat, I take the seat down so the heat goes in the trunk faster... though, I've noticed that the trunk is warmer than the rest of the car when you first get in... :lol:

If you crank 'em up right away you might dammage the surrounds. Once the surrounds become a little softer after a few minutes of playing at low levels it should be fine to just let the babies pound!

if you read the instructions/specifications of your subs, they'll tell you the coldest temperature it's safe to max them at... generally, I run mine at a decently low volume for 10 - 15 mins before I start turning it up... and if I have no passengers in the back seat, I take the seat down so the heat goes in the trunk faster... though, I've noticed that the trunk is warmer than the rest of the car when you first get in... :lol:

what he said!

if below freezzzzzzzzzzzing. play them at the half volume at the most to heat up the coils in the speaker, after the temp in the car is warm enough for jacket to come off, the speakers should be good to go by then. amps will be all good.

if you grage your car then there is no worries

I agree on taking it easy for a bit...then you can pound away! Treat your speakers like you treat the female when your banging her. Take her slow then give it to her.

LOL!!! Great analogy!

You guys all have the right idea here. I've worked at a local car audio company for a couple of years now in Michigan (Upper Michigan if your wondering). It gets extremely cold here in the winter and the cold is a big problem for subwoofers. The main problem with any speaker is the movement of the cone and the rubber or poly surrounding edge. The rubber can freeze at temperatures below 10 degrees and when you really crank up your subs it can cause the edge to crack and destroy the subs. This is usually not a problem with the higher end subs like pioneer, kicker, infinity, sony, jbl, etc. I sure hope this helps all of you :)