Replacing daily driver

derkach99

If you are an active member of this forum you will know that I currently drive a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL. Speaking of that what does the "SL" stand for? I was never able to research this. Anyway with the car being over 20 years old I think its time to set her aside for future restoration and its time to purchase another vehicle to take her place as a daily driver. I am looking at two sedans and I am hoping not to spend over $4000. I am looking at 2002 Olds Intrigues either a GL or GLS trim line, I am surprised no one talks about them on here for being a W-body. I am also looking at 2001-03 Olds Aurora with either engine package. What I am on the fence about is which of these vehicles would be reliable which will be the better choice. The only things I want as features are heated seats and upgraded audio system. I'm not a fan of leather seats but I think I will have to suck it up lol. I have researched these cars a bit so don't be afraid to get into some details. Go to town on telling me your ideas:). Oh and also Happy New year!

Edited by derkach99

If you are an active member of this forum you will know that I currently drive a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL. Speaking of that what does the "SL" stand for? I was never able to research this. Anyway with the car being over 20 years old I think its time to set her aside for future restoration and its time to purchase another vehicle to take her place as a daily driver. I am looking at two sedans and I am hoping to spend over $4000. I am looking at 2002 Olds Intrigues either a GL or GLS trim line, I am surprised no one talks about them on here for being a W-body. I am also looking at 2001-03 Olds Aurora with either engine package. What I am on the fence about is which of these vehicles would be reliable which will be the better choice. The only things I want as features are heated seats and upgraded audio system. I'm not a fan of leather seats but I think I will have to suck it up lol. I have researched these cars a bit so don't be afraid to get into some details. Go to town on telling me your ideas:). Oh and also Happy New year!

Reason no one talks about auroras is their crap 4.0s. Reason no one talks about intrigues is their crap 3.5s

You could get a '98-99 Intrigue with the L36 as well. Just that they're not all that common it seems compared to other Ws of their era. I can't think the last time I saw one in the wild around here actually, despite seeing other Ws of their time.

The 1G to 2G W body ratio here is close to 2:1. Although most members here keep a 1G and a 2G concurrently but this forum is a bit biased towards the 1st W bodies, or so it seems. That's why almost no one here speaks of Intrigues, Centuries, etc.

But I would stay away from the 4.0 if I was you. That's nothing more than a Northstar, and they have... Northstar issues like the head gasket. By the time those issues were fixed, they were turned to RWD engines. The 3.5 is a derivative of the 4.0 Northstar. It's actually called the "short star" but surprisingly doesn't have the HG issue the 4.0 did. HOWEVER because it's a redhaired engine, moreso than the LQ1 you're better off avoiding the 3.5. From what I'm told it's not a bad engine, but it is very maintenance prone like its 4.0 cousin.

Are you trying to stick with the W Chassis or the Olds brand? I would seriously suggest a 2003-2004 Oldsmobile Alero if you want to stay in an Oldsmobile. The Alero isn't a bad car, but it does have issues with hub bearings and passlock. The 3400 has LIMG issues as do all V6s made by GM at the time and the L61 Ecotec is very reliable. You just have to change the chain every 100k - 150k. This is moreso in the early 2002-2003 runs as they're known to have an oiling issue. That was corrected mid 2003. The Ecotec is otherwise a good engine, and in N bodies, I usually recommend the Ecotec ones compared to the 3400 ones just because of the LIMG issue but both are pretty good, aside from typical GM problems.

If you're more willing to stay on the W body than the Olds brand, I suggest a 2006+ Impala. They're very easy to get for $4000. They'll usually have a 3500, which is more or less an updated 3400 but with more power. You can find them in cloth, but I don't think the heated seat option is available in cloth. I noticed you mentioned the heated seat thing, but that's mostly in leather seats. I'd forgo the heated seats but that's just me.

The 3G W Impalas did come with a 3900, and AFAIK, they are a "new" engine compared to the 3500 but not too sure of their power. They say it was supposed to replace the 3800 but I've read it was a poor replacement for it due to the lack of forced induction and power band characteristics.

I'd stay away from the Aurora. Very sensor dependent cars and as you know with GM and sensors... they must be replaced eventually because they make the car act all sorts of weird.

I absolutely love the auroras from an aesthetic standpoint, but it pretty much stops there. I've never driven one, but I've heard they have lots of issues. I've had numerous 1st gens as a DD and I love them, but they're just old at this point. As far as newer, I'd look at 04+. Nas mentioned the Impala which I've heard is pretty bullet proof, but I'm not a huge fan of the styling. I have an 04 GP as a saily driver and I love it. I bought it for $1100 and put maybe $300 more into it, and I've haven't had any issues in about 10k miles/ 9 months or so driving it.

If you're stuck on a newer olds w-body, I would agree with going w/ a 3800 Intrigue. I love Auroras, too for the way they look, but anything associated with the northstar is going to require a lot of maintenance. good advice so far.

The 1G to 2G W body ratio here is close to 2:1. Although most members here keep a 1G and a 2G concurrently but this forum is a bit biased towards the 1st W bodies, or so it seems. That's why almost no one here speaks of Intrigues, Centuries, etc.

But I would stay away from the 4.0 if I was you. That's nothing more than a Northstar, and they have... Northstar issues like the head gasket. By the time those issues were fixed, they were turned to RWD engines. The 3.5 is a derivative of the 4.0 Northstar. It's actually called the "short star" but surprisingly doesn't have the HG issue the 4.0 did. HOWEVER because it's a redhaired engine, moreso than the LQ1 you're better off avoiding the 3.5. From what I'm told it's not a bad engine, but it is very maintenance prone like its 4.0 cousin.

Are you trying to stick with the W Chassis or the Olds brand? I would seriously suggest a 2003-2004 Oldsmobile Alero if you want to stay in an Oldsmobile. The Alero isn't a bad car, but it does have issues with hub bearings and passlock. The 3400 has LIMG issues as do all V6s made by GM at the time and the L61 Ecotec is very reliable. You just have to change the chain every 100k - 150k. This is moreso in the early 2002-2003 runs as they're known to have an oiling issue. That was corrected mid 2003. The Ecotec is otherwise a good engine, and in N bodies, I usually recommend the Ecotec ones compared to the 3400 ones just because of the LIMG issue but both are pretty good, aside from typical GM problems.

If you're more willing to stay on the W body than the Olds brand, I suggest a 2006+ Impala. They're very easy to get for $4000. They'll usually have a 3500, which is more or less an updated 3400 but with more power. You can find them in cloth, but I don't think the heated seat option is available in cloth. I noticed you mentioned the heated seat thing, but that's mostly in leather seats. I'd forgo the heated seats but that's just me.

The 3G W Impalas did come with a 3900, and AFAIK, they are a "new" engine compared to the 3500 but not too sure of their power. They say it was supposed to replace the 3800 but I've read it was a poor replacement for it due to the lack of forced induction and power band characteristics.

I'd stay away from the Aurora. Very sensor dependent cars and as you know with GM and sensors... they must be replaced eventually because they make the car act all sorts of weird.

I thank you for a detailed response. I guess you could say I want one more Oldsmobile for my second car. I like the aurora's for their luxury but I like the Intrigues because they replaced the Cutlass and I can use my snow tire saw blade rims on it as well as I see more intrigues on the road then auroras. However you don't need to tell me the Cutlass I have is built much better then any Intrigue....sadly.

I have 300,000 km on the northstar in my 01 STS, it burns oil like they all do, but is otherwise reliable.

I have a 3.1L in my cutlass that is like that:). Do you have any personal experience with the shortstar?

I absolutely love the auroras from an aesthetic standpoint, but it pretty much stops there. I've never driven one, but I've heard they have lots of issues. I've had numerous 1st gens as a DD and I love them, but they're just old at this point. As far as newer, I'd look at 04+. Nas mentioned the Impala which I've heard is pretty bullet proof, but I'm not a huge fan of the styling. I have an 04 GP as a saily driver and I love it. I bought it for $1100 and put maybe $300 more into it, and I've haven't had any issues in about 10k miles/ 9 months or so driving it.

I wanted an Aurora and looked at numerous ones when I eventually got my Cutlass. Most of them have electrical issues (read sensors or shorts). The 4.0 engine isn't as bad as the Caddy Northstars, which itself stopped being a problem after 1999 from what I've read up on and the 3.5 is a very smooth engine from what I have gathered (test drives). I cannot recommend something that has been known for issues, has a small support base (not many mechanics know about em and not many forums are dedicated to em), and a bad aftermarket support. Shit, having an LQ1 is annoying as is, now the 3.5 was Olds only. Had Buick and Pontiac had em, I wouldn't be as hesitant, but finding parts for em is gonna be a bitch.

As far as the styling, there's nothing exciting about it, but that's the allure of em (Get it? Allure?) :P

What attracts me to the Impala is the aftermarket support and its status as a blank canvas. In my opinion, the best cars to mod are the "bland" ones. That's why the Crown Vic has that going for it. Sure it's a dinosaur but you're not limited because you can do more than say... a new civic.

Black Impala. Lowered. Billet Grille. 18's or 20 inch 5 spoke concave wheels. Tints. CCFL projector lights with an HID retrofit (including projector). That would be one bad ass ride.

I thank you for a detailed response. I guess you could say I want one more Oldsmobile for my second car. I like the aurora's for their luxury but I like the Intrigues because they replaced the Cutlass and I can use my snow tire saw blade rims on it as well as I see more intrigues on the road then auroras. However you don't need to tell me the Cutlass I have is built much better then any Intrigue....sadly.

Not a problem.

I understand your situation. I'd like to have another Olds as well. Gotta enjoy em now since in 10 years, they'll be a distant memory. That's why I don't plan on selling the Vert.

You can use your saw blades on any FWD GM car that's not a Cavalier/Sunfire up until 2005. They all had the 5x115 bolt pattern and the same 70.3 center bore. Saw blades won't look right on anything else than a Cutlass Supreme and that's just a fact.

The Intrigue itself wasn't a bad car. You just have to find a 3800 powered one. I feel that would be the best bet, however don't be scared of the LX5 (3.5 shortstar). Just don't expect many to be of help if it has issues. I did a search on it just to see what came up on google and most stuff on google is 10 years old. I feel that's what scary to me. Imagine having a misfire or a leak and trying to diagnose it. I feel it would be stressful.

1998 Intrigues had the 3800 and some 1999s. 2000-2002 had the shortstar. Also, if you're wondering, the 3.5 is a ground up design based on the 4.0 Olds engine. The bore on the 3.5 is different. It's not a chopped up Northstar as many think it is. The 3800 is a chopped up Buick V8 and the 4.3 is a chopped up 350SBC but the 3.5 is different. Some trivia if you're interested; the 3.5 was meant to replace the 3800 (as was the 3.4 TDC/LQ1) but never caught on. The 3.4 has roots in the 2nd generation Fiero that never materialized and the 3.5 has roots in a premium V6 program that for some odd reason didn't expand to the other W's. The 3.4 failed due to design while the 3.5 was abandoned with Oldsmobile. In essence, Olds died with its own engines while Cadillac was forced to give up theirs.

Another Olds you could consider is the Eighty Eight Aka Regency Aka LSS. In the Olds hierarchy, you would have stepped up from a Cutlass Supreme to a 88. Last year of them were 1999. 98-99 have the last Olds logo, the 96-97s have the square logo you're used to. They came with the 3800 as well.

If you are an active member of this forum you will know that I currently drive a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL. Speaking of that what does the "SL" stand for? I was never able to research this. Anyway with the car being over 20 years old I think its time to set her aside for future restoration and its time to purchase another vehicle to take her place as a daily driver. I am looking at two sedans and I am hoping to spend over $4000. I am looking at 2002 Olds Intrigues either a GL or GLS trim line, I am surprised no one talks about them on here for being a W-body. I am also looking at 2001-03 Olds Aurora with either engine package. What I am on the fence about is which of these vehicles would be reliable which will be the better choice. The only things I want as features are heated seats and upgraded audio system. I'm not a fan of leather seats but I think I will have to suck it up lol. I have researched these cars a bit so don't be afraid to get into some details. Go to town on telling me your ideas:). Oh and also Happy New year!

Rob is gone and therefore absolutely no one cares about the Intrigues on here. I went to a huge Space Bobby meet last year and there wasn't a single Intrigue there.

You're hoping to spend over $4000, or NOT over $4000??

I know it may not be a popular opinion here, but if you're looking for a daily for the next 5 years, 12-year-old-plus W-body cars may not be an ideal start but whatever . . . .

It's been a long time since I've seen an Intrigue or an Aurora... Get whatever car you want, just keep in mind you're gonna have troubles and repairs that will be needed sooner or later... If you're trying to spend more than 4 grand, why not go with something newer and nicer?

Rob is gone and therefore absolutely no one cares about the Intrigues on here. I went to a huge Space Bobby meet last year and there wasn't a single Intrigue there.

You're hoping to spend over $4000, or NOT over $4000??

I know it may not be a popular opinion here, but if you're looking for a daily for the next 5 years, 12-year-old-plus W-body cars may not be an ideal start but whatever . . . .

Ya, Sorry I ment so say under $4000.

It's been a long time since I've seen an Intrigue or an Aurora... Get whatever car you want, just keep in mind you're gonna have troubles and repairs that will be needed sooner or later... If you're trying to spend more than 4 grand, why not go with something newer and nicer?

Sorry I meant to say under $4000

I am leaning toward the 3.5 Aurora (avoiding the Northstar issues at high mileage). Believe it or not there is an 03' 4.0L with 35,000k for $6,500 CAD. I am looking for these but no where near that price even if it is a gold edition.

hey that 3.5 is just a v6 northstar. my dad has a 3.5 intrigue, the 90 is on the road, the intrigue isnt, and its hasnt been for a while. they are a nightmare to work on. If you want a newer gm fwd car get one with a 3.8. much easier to work on, and if you want something fast, get a rwd v8 platform. F bodies go for about 5-9K

hey that 3.5 is just a v6 northstar. my dad has a 3.5 intrigue, the 90 is on the road, the intrigue isnt, and its hasnt been for a while. they are a nightmare to work on. If you want a newer gm fwd car get one with a 3.8. much easier to work on, and if you want something fast, get a rwd v8 platform. F bodies go for about 5-9K

The problem is that he wants one last Oldsmobile before they're all at the crusher like Plymouth. The sad thing is that the only reliable Olds they made after 1999 was the Bravada and the Alero. I know a lot of people don't like the N bodies, but they were a lot better than a 3.5 Intrigue.

The sad thing is that the only thing that eats more wheel bearings than an Alero is an Aurora. That car loves sensors.

yeah ive seen a lotta intrigues in the jy and most were 3.5 cars

Ya but she needs to be put aside. I just got my thermostat changed and my lower intake manifold broke in the process as well as she has some frame rot happening just in front of the rear wheels. It's time to to make her a summer car.